Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Has anyone used their tracfone from usa to call a tracfone in europe using their international travel plan?

Has anyone taken JUST PHOTOS on their tracfones while overseas? (no calls or texts)

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Looks like a no unless you call an actual # not a cell phone #.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't understand your comment, @bargainsgirl .

The phone number assigned to a cell phone is an "actual number.

TracFone had both Global Calling and International calling. You need to read both and understand how one or both can fit in with your travel plans. Some of it depends on your destination.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  - The camera in any phone is just that - a camera.  It's not dependent on location.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Don't understand your comment, @bargainsgirl .

The phone number assigned to a cell phone is an "actual number.

TracFone had both Global Calling and International calling. You need to read both and understand how one or both can fit in with your travel plans. Some of it depends on your destination.

While I agree that a cell #  IS a phone number- I think it has to be a landline per Tracfones rules...

Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker 

I truly don't know about the TracFone rules in this, I haven't read them, and I don't know honeybuns' European itinerary. The TracFone website answers questions, but you have to know the cities you'll be calling to.

But re: "actual number" , I do know phone calls can be forwarded from one type of device to another.

I believe OP has previously asked similar questions while readying for a trip.

Maybe someone in the Travel forum has experience with this, but it's still up to the actual itinerary.

Respected Contributor

That is true.  Bottom line...Tracfone CANNOT be used overseas.  You can call FROM one from US but it has to be to a landline phone.  NO cell phones will accept a call from a Tracfone.

Esteemed Contributor

But why are you so focused on calling, @bargainsgirl ?

Can't you email from smartphone to smartphone?

Texting between phones still uses telephone lines, but emailing on phones, tablets, etc goes over WiFi, which is available in any city. If you email you can attach short audio clips, video, and pictures you've taken.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

But why are you so focused on calling, @bargainsgirl ?

Can't you email from smartphone to smartphone?

Texting between phones still uses telephone lines, but emailing on phones, tablets, etc goes over WiFi, which is available in any city. If you email you can attach short audio clips, video, and pictures you've taken.

That isn't true.  Texting uses a cellular data plan. 

"Once your message is typed, it travels through radio waves to the control channel. The control channel is the pathway that allows your phone to communicate with your cell phone tower so that your phone can send and receive calls, data packets and SMS messages."

"Text messaging, or texting, is the act of composing and sending electronic messages, typically consisting of alphabetic and numeric characters, between two or more users of mobile devices, desktops/laptops, or other type of compatible computer. Text messages may be sent over a cellular network, or may also be sent via an Internet connection"