Honored Contributor

Why is my "new" Dell screen going half lit?

I always use my Dell laptop, about five months old, on the desk.  Just now I decided to use on battery so I could relax in my recliner.  Feeling a bit under the weather with whatever  is going around this year.  So the screen goes dim.  This is a Dell 1500 series Inspiron with a Ryzen chip, not an Intel. Anything I can do about this?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is my "new" Dell screen going half lit?

Go to your Control Panel, System and Security, Power Options and change battery settings.  There is a toggle on the bottom of the screen to increase or decrease brightness.  I think this happens as part of conserving the battery.  Hope this helps--K

Honored Contributor

You are still under warranty.  Why not take advantage of it by calling the horses mouth....Dell?   confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

i don't have a dell but agree thi is a sttings issue.  brightnes eats up battery and the factory default setting is to reduce monitor brightness when unplugged.  this should be adjustable.  you can google for this if don't know how to change.

Honored Contributor

Kare29 is correct.  Follow her advice.  It's just a settings issue.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree it is a settings problem? But, this happening on a new computer? Very strange to me. I think the 0/P has a better chance of getting the right answer to resolve her problem here then with the dell tech at the very least she can understand us better then them and they are a terrible to deal with. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@apple1964 wrote:

I agree it is a settings problem? But, this happening on a new computer? Very strange to me. I think the 0/P has a better chance of getting the right answer to resolve her problem here then with the dell tech at the very least she can understand us better then them and they are a terrible to deal with. Good luck!

It's a energy setting.  How old the computer is has NOTHING to do with it.  Most notebook or laptop computers come with a factory setting to dim the screen when on battery. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the answers.  My last problem, white letters on black background, was also a settings issue.  

Valued Contributor

why dont u take advantage of warranty .

Respected Contributor

@anin wrote:

why dont u take advantage of warranty .

It's not a warranty issue.  It's a power setting to save battery life.