Honored Contributor

I have a question about adding a sound bar to a bedroom smart TV--do I really need a sub woofer too? I just want to enhance the TV speakers and not go all crazy about being able to route any music thru it. Tis one I got, is huge!! The subwoofer is huge for the space I have.. Sure wish I'd thought to really measure the thing before I bought it. Not a tech person here either.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have a subwoofer and multiple speakers attached to my TV. I so rarely used the subwoofer that when I replaced the speaker system I just went with a Bose soundbar.  I LOVE IT!  es, I was shouting my love for Bose.  The sound quality is fabulous and more than ideal for in home use. Woman Very Happy  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl

My life has been about audio sound since the early 1950's, long before true stereo was even available. I am one that leans for more "bass" as opposed to less. Thatis just my preference, as deep bass singers get much of my attention when it comes to music group singers.

Some soundbars come with a sub-woofer if that is what you might prefer. Personally, unless a bedroom is set up with true DTS or some sort of Dolby or True Surround sound?  I wouldn't even consider placing one in that room. Also, the accoustic capabilities in certain rooms are much more limited.

My preference for our bedrooms has always been multiple speaker systems capable of reproducing True Surround Sound, and I have yet to see or hear any 1 soundbar or 2 speaker system, that claim to sound like True Surround, come even close. I never however considered adding a sub-woofer. I went with speakers capable or reproducing the lower ranges of my music and video sounds.

There are, and have been for decades, many gadgets that will simulate surround sound, but to my ears, they all fall far short of meeting my expectations of actually hearing it as meant by those making and producing the sound tracks.

Having better sound in your bedroom is certainly a plus when considering the limitations of thin tv sets of today's audio limitations. I look for realism in movies, and that requires an active powered sub-woofer, or the special effects of many scenes are lost.

Would I put one in my bedroom? I sleep in a recliner in our patio room, and yes, I have an audio receiver capable of reproducing every current type of True Sound that does Surround me. And yes, I do have a fairly powerful down firing sub-woofer to make sure the sound is as accurate as intended by those producing all the sound effects.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I have a question about adding a sound bar to a bedroom smart TV--do I really need a sub woofer too? I just want to enhance the TV speakers and not go all crazy about being able to route any music thru it. Tis one I got, is huge!! The subwoofer is huge for the space I have.. Sure wish I'd thought to really measure the thing before I bought it. Not a tech person here either.

I don't think a sound system sounds right without the subwoofer.  I bought a Bose Soundlink to use with my iPad.  I connected it to my TV using the headphone jack, have it set it on AUX and the sound is great.  It's like having a much bigger sound system in my bedroom in a very small footprint.  If you can return your sound system, think about getting a portable speaker like a Bose Soundlink or something similar to get the sound you want. 

New Contributor

Yes adding a sound bar to your room, you definitely will need an extra roof which may help you a lot more. By adding roof room to your room it really helps in finding the right place for you!

Valued Contributor

adding sounds bar is always a good option for tv.