Honored Contributor

Re: before I throw my printer off a cliff...any advice?

[ Edited ]

I bought a $40 HP printer from Walmart last year. I only print documents so I need only black ink which this printer will operate with just the one cartridge. Cartridges are about $14.

Printers and coffee makers....two things I won't spend a lot of money on. They break and can easily and economically  be replaced with something better.Woman Happy

Occasional Contributor

OMG I have been fighting the same problem exactly!  I tried everything just like you.  I finally threw mine out and went and got a new one!  HP Office Jet Pro 8710 and I love it.  Was 199.00 w/50 off so 149.00 it cost me.  This one is suppose to  be more efficient on ink usage.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if HP's cartridge recycling program is part of the problem.  Maybe they are reconditioning and refilling returned cartridges and they eventually wear out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had several problems with this lately and one of them was a cartridge that was outdated. The other was a newer cartridge  but printed with skipped lines. After a while, it just started working one day. I think it had something to do with the flow of the ink. My printer HP printer is 6 years old. Someone on the internet suggested taking the cartridge out of the printer and standing it upside down for a while. I honestly don't think I would buy another HP printer again. Their customer service is out of the country and very nasty.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe, the other colors are printing fine. it's just the black. I've done several test prints for "print quality". the 3 colors print, but the black is blank.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

I had the same problem a month ago or so with my hp photosmart. I even had the Geek Squad from Best Buy come out. Long story short — Something was wrong with the black ink output and cheaper to buy new printer than repair it. Got laser jet so the ink will never dry up due to non use or very little use. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a good giggle out of some of the replies here Smiley Happy

I just finished an online chat with HP. I was trying to find a simple printer compatible with the fresh, newly purchased HP ink cartridges that I just bought. guess what? they no longer make printers compatible with that cartridge! what does that tell you? my printer is old as dirt, as printers go. the CS chat person was actually very nice and helpful.

I've always wondered why I need colored ink when I only print things in black. but I digress Smiley Happy

I'm going to buy a new one.

I'm taking slow, deep breaths and I can feel my blood pressure returning to normal, now that I have made peace with the problem.

thanks y'all. Smiley Happy

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@MariotaMurielle et al, thanks for your comments on this topic.  I have had a similar discussion here with my Canon.  I am going to take the advice I got the first time and go for Laser.  I appreciate the brand and model recs named here and elsewhere. Keep ‘me coming pls!  LM

Honored Contributor

I would recommend getting a Canon printer this time.  I have had much better luck with them than the one HP printer I've had.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I too have an HP printer with this problem. If your colored ink is working, take out the black cartridge and just print with it. The colors will make black ink. That is the only thing that makes my printer work. But, your printer will work with just the one colored cartridge in. 

Good Luck!