Occasional Contributor

anyone with Dish and multiple TVs

I have Tvs hooked up to Dish satellite, was thinking about getting hubby a new TV for xmas, was wondering if I can just unplug cables from old TV into same outlets on back of  new TV for it to work and connect to satellite or do I need a dish man to do it. If I can just plug in to same outlets without having to go and change settings would be nice. Has anyone got a new TV and hooked it up themselves with Dish satellite?

Respected Contributor

Re: anyone with Dish and multiple TVs

You don't need to pay someone to do this.  You can go to DISH webiste and find instructions as well as the TV's owner's manual.  

Honored Contributor

You don't need DISH to come out to do this. Just unplug the old TV & hookup the new one. I'm pretty sure all you will need to do is program your remote control.

Honored Contributor

@jackpotwinner 

We have Dish Network and now just on 2 TV sets. It has 1 Hopper 3, and 1 Joey in the bedroom. The only things you may have to do, other than connecting the Hopper cable(or Joey) to the same connector "input" would be this. 

Do a "reset" or an "unplug" so it recognizes you have made a change. If you want to use only your Dish Remote to operate the TV, especially if it is a different brand the 1 you removed you have to re-program the remote.

You can do that by hitting the HOME button on the Dish Remote/move UP and over to MENU/select SETTINGS/across to tab REMOTE, then put in the info it asks for about your TV and other settings. If necessary, make sure you hit SAVE before you go back to your RECORDINGS and other choice you pick, just like the TV you are replacing.

Follow each step, in the right order, and that should do it. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! I forgot about the remote, would have to program it to work with the new tv. 

Honored Contributor

I have AT&T Uverse and just got a new TV.

I didn't have to do ANYTHiNG

When they say smart TV, they mean really smart.

It picked up my WiFi with no resets or anything.

I have an HDMI cable from the Uverse receiver to the TV, just had to plug it up.

I haven't programmed the remote, the only thing I can't do with it is turn the TV on/off, but I can use the TV remote for that.   I'll eventually get around to it.

If you have a problem once everything is hooked back up, call the DISH tech support.  They will walk you through it.

@jackpotwinner 

Honored Contributor

@jackpotwinner 

You're welcome.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am an electronic idiot.  DISH always talks me through things or I give them permission to access my TV and they do it.