Respected Contributor

Just got my new fire 10!  I have 2 OLD fire 7's that I would like to discontinue using.  How do I get rid of everything on them for good?  Do I use factory reset???  I am NOT so tech savvy!!  Thanks for any help!

Valued Contributor

I hope you can get an answer as I  also am not that tech savvy , have 2 old tablets 7" and 8" that I haven't used  after getting my 10" Amazon Fire. 

You worry about discarding things that have so much information on them. I  have wondered if  the factory reset would erase everything and then  would be safe to give away,or throw away.

Honored Contributor

You could try asking this question on Google or whatever search engine you use.

There are numerous "life saving" techies who post how to do things on TracFone. Try YouTube, as well.  There may be techies who posted videos on how to do it.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, do a factory reset.

Super Contributor

Yes, you should do a factory reset (after you set up your new one). Go to Settings, Device Options, Reset to Factory Settings.  You should also deregister the devices from your Amazon account. Sign into your account, a drop down list will appear under your name, go to Content and Devices, go to Devices, find and choose the tablets that you want to deregister from your account, and then just answer the questions making sure that's what you want to do. 

Honored Contributor

Also remember to remove a micro-SD card if you added one to the devices you're getting rid of. A lot of people forget the micro-SD card is there and sometimes those cards can still hold information after a device is reset. The factory reset will remove data stored on the device's memory, but not always the stuff on the micro-SD cards if you've used one. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

Yes, you should do a factory reset (after you set up your new one). Go to Settings, Device Options, Reset to Factory Settings.  You should also deregister the devices from your Amazon account. Sign into your account, a drop down list will appear under your name, go to Content and Devices, go to Devices, find and choose the tablets that you want to deregister from your account, and then just answer the questions making sure that's what you want to do. 

Thank you for walking me through this and mentioning the dereregister the old divices.  this forum has the most helpful people

Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Also remember to remove a micro-SD card if you added one to the devices you're getting rid of. A lot of people forget the micro-SD card is there and sometimes those cards can still hold information after a device is reset. The factory reset will remove data stored on the device's memory, but not always the stuff on the micro-SD cards if you've used one. 

Thank you also for your information  will have to make sure the SD was removed think I did , but will be clicking factory reset on my old tablets that have been laying in the drawer since getting my new 10" Amazon Fire which I am enjoying.

Respected Contributor

Reset, remove card, and do what I do....flat rock outside, wrapped in a tarp, and sledge hammer.

If they're old and obsolete no one will want them anyway!!!

I've put them on the burn pile too...Amazing what a 1000 degree fire will do to an old laptop!!!