Honored Contributor

Ok, all I wanted to do was watch QVC2, well I got the not at this time message, same with the guide and my dvr listing was wonky too. Well I rebooted it and the tv  was fine, but not the internet and phone. Well I panicked momentarily, and rebooted it again, success !  I love all these modern options,  but sometimes Iremember the older , simpler days fondly. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Reset/unplug should be the 1st step for almost all electronic devices.

hckynut🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

hckynut🏒

@hckynutjohn , I know and I appreciate modern electronics to a point. Sometimes I just wonder why are you screwing up ? 🤔

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

hckynut🏒

@hckynutjohn , I know and I appreciate modern electronics to a point. Sometimes I just wonder why are you screwing up ? 🤔

Pretty much everything these days is a computer at heart and computers are highly fallible. Most devices only load the software when first powered on and then keep that software running all the time. At the heart of every piece of software is a code where either there is voltage or there isn't (A one or a zero.) The problem is there are stray voltages that can sneak in (static electricity, power line fluctuations, cosmic rays, etc.) that can change a one or zero and since the computer just keeps reusing the same program those get incorporated into it. When enough of those errors accumulate, weird things happen. That's why unplugging and rebooting the device fixes the issue. Instead of still running the software with the bugs it's accumulated, the device is forced to go back to the ROM chip that holds the original, unmodified software and load that. Rebooting things from time to time is a necessity. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman , Thanks , that makes sense. 

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

yes, I had to reboot my Roku device tonight when it wasn't responding.  Seems like it happens once a month, at least.  And always at inconvenient times.  Smiley Mad