Honored Contributor

I am not computer savey at all. The left click on my wireless mouse does not work.  It doesn't even click like the right side.  Any suggestions of how or if it can be fixed.  

Esteemed Contributor

Never had that problem. Have you changed his batteries?

Honored Contributor

I did but still not working.  The scroll & right click works.

Respected Contributor

Re: Wireless Mouse

[ Edited ]

@Pecky wrote:

I am not computer savey at all. The left click on my wireless mouse does not work.  It doesn't even click like the right side.  Any suggestions of how or if it can be fixed.  

Depends on what's wrong with it.

Does the button depress at all when you try? Does it make any sound? Sometimes they can get a crumb or something stuck inside that prevents them from being depressed and working. You can try using a can of compressed air to blow between the buttons and see if anything is loose.

If the right side works and not the left, it's probably not the battery or the USB connector. Sometimes the USB connector gets bent and that prevents the mouse from working correctly. You can try cleaning the USB connector and looking to see if it's bent. If so, you can try to bend it back, but likely it will need replacing, which usually means the whole mouse needs replacing.

If anything is wrong with the mouse internally, it will be easier to replace it than repair it.

Honored Contributor

if it is not the batteries it probably just needs to be replaced.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

Does the button depress at all when you try? Does it make any sound? Sometimes they can get a crumb or something stuck inside that prevents them from being depressed and working. You can try using a can of compressed air to blow between the buttons and see if anything is loose.

If the right side works and not the left, it's probably not the battery or the USB connector. Sometimes the USB connector gets bent and that prevents the mouse from working correctly. You can try cleaning the USB connector and looking to see if it's bent. If so, you can try to bend it back, but likely it will need replacing, which usually means the whole mouse needs replacing.

If anything is wrong with the mouse internally, it will be easier to replace it than repair it.

It does seem like it is jammed.  I will just get a new one. Is it easy to install? Like I said I am not the smartest with electronics.   I do alot of googling LOL

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

I does seem to be jammed as it does not click at all.  I will just get a new one.  Is it easy to hook up?  Like I said I am not the smartest with electronics. I do alot of googling. LOL

Respected Contributor

Blow into it, and see if you dislodge whatever is underneath.  If that doesn't work, I suggest getting a new one.  Easy to install:  Wireless mice come with a little connector - when you first open the package, it may be is attached to the mouse itself.  Remove from the mouse, and put that connector into your laptop (any available slot that is free and it fits) and restart the computer.  Be sure the mouse is ON.  Your laptop will "find" your new mouse.  Be careful - the connector is very small.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Things like mice tend to use microswitches that are soldered onto the circuit board. It's a mechanical switch and while typically quite reliable, they can fail in a couple of ways. First and most common is they simply break free of the circuit board (or place where they're secured) and when you go to press the switch not just the shaft of the switch moves, but the whole switch moves. If the switch button is depressed and stays depressed, that's most likely the problem. Can it be fixed? Yes. But only if you're handy with a soldering iron and since you're posting the question, you probably aren't handy with a soldering iron. (This is a fairly common issue with the shoulder buttons on the Nintendo Switch. If someone has a Nintendo Switch with a broken shoulder button, the switch coming loose from the board is the typical reason.) Soldering the loose switch back into place isn't typically a big job, but it takes time and time is money for those who do this sort of thing.

If you're comfortable handling a soldering iron and you can get into the mouse (often the hardest part of the job) you'll typically find this is the problem and it's very easy to repair, just solder the switch back into place and you're back in business. If the switch is still intact on the board and not working then unsoldering it and taking the badly behaving switch to the nearest Radio Shack or electrical parts supplier to see if they have something comparable that you can then solder back in can often correct the problem.

Getting into things like wireless mice is often easiest if you have a specialized tool kit like those made by ifixit and similar companies. They typically include things like spudgers that let you safely pry apart the interlocking halves of things like mice, remote controls, etc. They also typically include the unique screwdrivers some manufacturers like to use to prevent people from opening their devices (Nintendo and Apple being two prime examples.)

Much of modern electronics is pretty easy to fix if you can just get to it. The hot air soldering devices have even come down enough in price to make them affordable for DIYer's. Those are vital for removing/installing things like surface mounted devices. Instead of heating up one distinct spot with a soldering iron, they'll heat up a whole area allowing you to remove a chip or surface mounted component in little time with little trouble. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Replace it

There is probably a little ish stick, or one that looks really short plugged into one of your computer's ports. Along the outside of your computer.

Go buy a cheap wireless mouse 10 to 15 dollars or if you have arthritic hands a really deluxe one in the 50 dollar range or so, whatever you want to spend. 

Get fresh batteries.

Put them in your mouse and plug the new stick or stubby thing that comes with the mouse and your computer should recognize it right away and boom Bob's your Uncle.