Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wireless Mouse

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ 

I would buy a new mouse. I usually buy Logitech products on Amazon. Game mice. 

Honored Contributor

When I had a desktop computer I had a wireless mouse that I hooked up myself.  I am not computer savvy at all, so it must have been easy fairly easy to do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

I am not computer savey at all. The left click on my wireless mouse does not work.  It doesn't even click like the right side.  Any suggestions of how or if it can be fixed.  

Depends on what's wrong with it.

Does the button depress at all when you try? Does it make any sound? Sometimes they can get a crumb or something stuck inside that prevents them from being depressed and working. You can try using a can of compressed air to blow between the buttons and see if anything is loose.

If the right side works and not the left, it's probably not the battery or the USB connector. Sometimes the USB connector gets bent and that prevents the mouse from working correctly. You can try cleaning the USB connector and looking to see if it's bent. If so, you can try to bend it back, but likely it will need replacing, which usually means the whole mouse needs replacing.

If anything is wrong with the mouse internally, it will be easier to replace it than repair it.

It does seem like it is jammed.  I will just get a new one. Is it easy to install? Like I said I am not the smartest with electronics.   I do alot of googling LOL

They're not difficult to replace.

You can look up your computer make/model and see what model of wireless mouse would be compatible with it.

I like the HP mice, but some like the Logitech, for example. It depends on your preference.

You just take the little wireless dongle--or connector that some people call it--and plug it into an empty USB slot/port on the side of your computer. 

You need to check and see that the mouse is also turned on, and that a battery/batteries are also placed inside of the mouse. 

I like to tell this story and share it with others each time someone asks about using a wireless mouse because I still laugh every single time that I think of it, but whatever you do, don't throw out the dongle--the small little connector--that comes with the mouse. LOL!!

My Mother-In-Law did that, not knowing what it was, and thinking that it was an unneccessary part that was in the box. She didn't know that it was needed so that the mouse could connect to the computer and the internet. Oops! 

She called us up and asked my husband why her computer/mouse wasn't working.

He asked her if she had everything connected, and she told him that she threw the dongle away, and he told her that's why it wasn't working right! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

By the way, the batteries in wireless mice seem to last forever. When I first got mine I was very conscientious about turning it off after each use. Yeah, not so much anymore. I've been using it for over two years now and it's still on the original batteries. I don't think I've turned it off at all for over a year and a half and it's still just working away like always. They get very impressive battery life.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!