Frequent Contributor

Windows updates startup type setting

I hope I can explain this clearly, so here goes. I've been having trouble getting Windows updates to install correctly on my 8.1 computer. Although I have updates scheduled to install automatically, they don't always do so. This week, there were 19 important updates showing as available, but they would not install. Had to do them manually.

I called Microsoft to try and find a solution. The tech, of course, ran the troubleshooter, as well as some other things, and hopefully things are now OK. One thing he did was to go to the local Services window, right clicked Windows Update, went to Properties, and then changed the Startup Type from manual to automatic. Not knowing anything about this particular setting and why it was on manual, I just wanted to ask about it. Is manual the default setting? And, if I keep it on automatic, would it be better to have it on automatic--delayed start?

I tried to get him to explain, but didn't really get anywhere. Would really appreciate help from you tech-savvy people. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Windows updates startup type setting

This was what I found online. Windows 8.x updates are different than from any previous version of Windows. Instead of going to Control Panel, Windows Updates, you have to access Windows updates differently in Windows 8.x. You can access Windows Updates on Windows 8.x by pressing and holding down the Windows key and pressing the C key to bring up the Charms bar. Then click on the Settings charm. In the Settings dialog, click on the link to Change PC Settings. In PC Settings, click on the option "Update and recovery" and highlight "Windows Update". Click on "Choose how updates get installed." Click the drop-down box for Important updates and you'll find four choices: Install updates automatically (recommended), Download updates but let me choose whether to install them, Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them, and Never check for updates (not recommended). If you want to choose the option that is most automatic, choose the first one - Install updates automatically (recommended). Which one you choose is up to you" Download updates but let me choose whether to install them." How you choose to download and install updates is your choice, just make sure you do keep Windows updated. After you've made your choice, you have another choice to make. Before we move to the next step, it's time to explain the different categories of updates. Microsoft divides its updates into three flavors: Important, Recommended, and Optional. The first two categories include updates that you should install while the third offers updates that may be nice to have but aren't absolutely necessary. For example, a critical update that fixes a security hole or bug would be considered an important update. "Choose how updates get installed." You can uncheck the check box for Recommended updates (and this is what we recommend). This ensures you get all the important updates and not recommended updates which may be device drivers and other software updates you may not need. With drivers we cannot emphasize enough that they should only be updated if you are having a hardware issue. Optional Updates must be manually selected to be installed. If you leave all the Update settings at default, all important and recommended updates will be automatically installed. "Choose how updates get installed" In this section you will see an option for Microsoft Update. If you run Microsoft software like MS Outlook or MS Office make sure the checkbox is checked so you get updates for the Microsoft. your choices then click the left-arrow at the top to go back to the previous screen.
Esteemed Contributor

What a fountain of great information! What she said!

Valued Contributor

MKR NY--I appreciate you going to all the trouble of looking up and typing all this info out for me, but what I'm trying to find out has to do with what to set the Startup Type as for Windows Update from the local Services page--not the settings you go to via the Control Panel or PC Settings accessed from the charms bar. I already had updates (important and recommended) scheduled to install automatically. Problem was that sometimes they did, and other times they didn't. Had to install manually this last time.

As I stated, the tech ran the troubleshooter and also changed the Startup Type from manual to automatic from local Services. I just want to know what the normal setting should be--manual, automatic, or automatic-delayed start. It was on manual (I certainly didn't put it on that) and he changed it to automatic. Seems like automatic should be the correct setting, but am wondering if automatic-delayed start would be better. Hope someone out there knows and can advise.

Again, thanks for all the trouble you went to.

(just noticed after I posted this, I signed in under wrong account. I am the OP. Sorry about any confusion caused by seeing a different name.)

Respected Contributor

Sorry about that. Maybe this will benefit someone else with this particular problem.

I get lots of good information from this forum. I don't own a Windows 8 laptop and am waiting for Windows 9 to come out in the next few months. Then about 6 months after it is out (and all the bugs are worked out) I may purchase it. I have a Toshiba Satellite Windows 7 laptop and a MacBook Pro Retina 15"" laptop but always love to learn new programs. I am retired now and have the time.

Have a great weekend everyone. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 8/16/2014 qualityshopper said:

MKR NY--I appreciate you going to all the trouble of looking up and typing all this info out for me, but what I'm trying to find out has to do with what to set the Startup Type as for Windows Update from the local Services page--not the settings you go to via the Control Panel or PC Settings accessed from the charms bar. I already had updates (important and recommended) scheduled to install automatically. Problem was that sometimes they did, and other times they didn't. Had to install manually this last time.

As I stated, the tech ran the troubleshooter and also changed the Startup Type from manual to automatic from local Services. I just want to know what the normal setting should be--manual, automatic, or automatic-delayed start. It was on manual (I certainly didn't put it on that) and he changed it to automatic. Seems like automatic should be the correct setting, but am wondering if automatic-delayed start would be better. Hope someone out there knows and can advise.

Again, thanks for all the trouble you went to.

(just noticed after I posted this, I signed in under wrong account. I am the OP. Sorry about any confusion caused by seeing a different name.)

You have 2 accounts and 2 nicknames ?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

Manual (Trigger Start) is the default setting. That's where I keep mine. It doesn't have to be set for Automatic.

Contrary to what's in post #1, you can access your Windows Update settings via the Control Panel. You can even make a shortcut to Windows Update on your desktop.

Respected Contributor

On 8/16/2014 Caffeina said:

Manual (Trigger Start) is the default setting. That's where I keep mine. It doesn't have to be set for Automatic.

Contrary to what's in post #1, you can access your Windows Update settings via the Control Panel. You can even make a shortcut to Windows Update on your desktop.

That's how I access Windows updates. If you're at the tiles screen, you can start typing Windows Updates and it will find it for you. BTW, Windows 9 is not coming put in a few months.

Esteemed Contributor

I read Windows 9 is due to be released Spring 2015. This maybe a beta product and not a consumer version.

Frequent Contributor

MKR NY--Yes, what you posted will definitely help anyone new to computers and unfamiliar with how Windows Updates work.

Newziesuzie--No, I don't have 2 accounts and 2 nicknames--just one. I post questions quite often for my mother who is legally blind, as well as posts for myself. When I posted this question, I was very, very tired. I had done a posting for her the day before and had been checking the responses to her question before coming here to check my responses. Simply got mixed up and signed in here under her account by mistake. I guess that's what happens when you only get about 3 hours of sleep.

Caffeina--Thanks for the info about the default setting being manual. Wasn't sure considering that upon checking my other computer's setting, found it to be set on automatic-delayed start. Since I never changed settings on that one, it must have come that way from HP. So, don't know why this 8.1 computer was set to manual. Whether startup type is on manual or automatic probably doesn't really have anything to do with why my updates aren't installing correctly, but that's what the tech chose to change. Oh, like both you and glb613, I always go to the Control Panel to do anything.