Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

My 7 year old MacBook is stuck on the latest update and is unusable at this point. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow but my gut tells me I will need to replace it. Does anyone know when the new version will be released or should I just bite the bullet if necessary and buy one?

Do a restore to factory conditions.  Back up your data and start over.  You'll be surprised how easy it is.  Once everything has been wiped out, you can restore from a backup and see what it works. 

I brought it to. The Apple store and this is what they did. The amazing thing is that it was free. I have everything saved to the cloud so it should be easy to restore what was wiped away. Thank you all so much!

If people would only try this first, they might be able to get several more years out of their device before buying new.  The only time this might not work is if you don't have enough storage.  That happened to my friend and her iPhone.  These updates take a lot of room and if you don't have enough storage, your device may end up unusable.  I'm glad to hear it worked for you.