Respected Contributor

My 7 year old MacBook is stuck on the latest update and is unusable at this point. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow but my gut tells me I will need to replace it. Does anyone know when the new version will be released or should I just bite the bullet if necessary and buy one?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

My 7 year old MacBook is stuck on the latest update and is unusable at this point. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow but my gut tells me I will need to replace it. Does anyone know when the new version will be released or should I just bite the bullet if necessary and buy one?

you can spin your wheels waiting for the 
"next" laptop or phone,  there will always be one coming, if you need one don't wait 

7 years is a good amount of time 

Respected Contributor

The third quarter of this year according to this article...

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/14-inch-macbook-pro/ 

Honored Contributor

We have decided that trading in one after four years is a great idea.  We get a little for it, get Apple care, and don't have to limp along then fork over more money later on.  

It you can afford it, upgrade them before they become obsolete.  Like me. 

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Do a restore to factory conditions.  Back up your data and start over.  You'll be surprised how easy it is.  Once everything has been wiped out, you can restore from a backup and see what it works. 

Respected Contributor

Re: When to buy MacBook?

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Do a restore to factory conditions.  Back up your data and start over.  You'll be surprised how easy it is.  Once everything has been wiped out, you can restore from a backup and see what it works. 

@glb613 often suggests this move.  I took her advice on my iPad Pro which became very sluggish.  Problem solved, working like a charm.  I would try it.  I don't think 7 is too old for a MacBook Pro.  

If you do decide to buy new, Black Friday and back to school are good times.  You don't get a big sale but Apple gift cards, other offers happen during this time. S

Honored Contributor

i use a program called clean my mac 

which might be of help as well

could buy some extra time before buying new 

Frequent Contributor

I had a 2012 MacBook Pro that was very tired. I just bought the MacBook Air M1 NOT the Intel)  that was released last November. This Macbook is amazing. I know the Intel are probably less money but i don"t buy MacBooks Often ( last time was 8 years ago) Beautiful machine 

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@glb613 often suggests this move.  I took her advice on my iPad Pro which became very sluggish.  Problem solved, working like a charm.  I would try it.  I don't think 7 is too old for a MacBook Pro.  

If you do decide to buy new, Black Friday and back to school are good times.  You don't get a big sale but Apple gift cards, other offers happen during this time. S

I recenly reset my iPhone 6 to factory spec, restored from a backup and the phone works great.  Apple makes this process easy to do.  A friend tried restoring her iPhone but, it didn't work.  The reason, her phone simply didn't have enough hard drive space.  She bought a new phone and got the most GB she could afford.  There are times when a restore won't work. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I brought it to. The Apple store and this is what they did. The amazing thing is that it was free. I have everything saved to the cloud so it should be easy to restore what was wiped away. Thank you all so much!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown