Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Media Streaming to you use?

@willdob3, thanks for your reply.  I am like you now.  Much prefer to stream than watch regular tv.  I got the nvidia shield and returned it.  It is pretty expensive for what it is to me (I am not a gamer).  What really turned me off was no qwerty keyboard and no hdmi cable.  I will buy something else so DH and I can watch separately when there is something we don't want to watch together.

I have local tv by over the air antenna so we are good to go!   LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I use Amazon Prime. When Big Brother starts in June I'll add on CBS All Access. I'm probably dropping cable in 2019 or 2020 when the 5g revolution takes over. The 5g wireless is going to be a game changer on pretty much every entertainment platform. Qualcomm has a prototype 5g chip that transmits and receives at around 35 gigabits per second with a much larger range than the current 4g tech. Those chips will be in everything and broadband as we know it now will be extinct.

There are some interesting times coming and they're coming soon. Instead of modems and routers, every device in your house will connect directly to the wireless provider. God only knows how the pricing will work out, but I suspect we'll buy bundles of access. Ten devices for $100 or something like that. Twenty devices for $150. Maybe $200 for 40 devices. Smartphones, hdtv's, tablets, laptops, gaming systems, and more will all have the 5g chips in them. The 5g has the potential to be a huge game changer and companies are already preparing for it.

@gardenman

I found your comment very interesting re: 5G.  For this new revolution, what happens to the devices we might have, Echo, tablets, laptops, desktops, etc. that are not 5G if we are going to be wireless, yet will not have a router.  Any information out there to which you can direct us for more information?  Thanks.....

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I use Amazon Prime. When Big Brother starts in June I'll add on CBS All Access. I'm probably dropping cable in 2019 or 2020 when the 5g revolution takes over. The 5g wireless is going to be a game changer on pretty much every entertainment platform. Qualcomm has a prototype 5g chip that transmits and receives at around 35 gigabits per second with a much larger range than the current 4g tech. Those chips will be in everything and broadband as we know it now will be extinct.

There are some interesting times coming and they're coming soon. Instead of modems and routers, every device in your house will connect directly to the wireless provider. God only knows how the pricing will work out, but I suspect we'll buy bundles of access. Ten devices for $100 or something like that. Twenty devices for $150. Maybe $200 for 40 devices. Smartphones, hdtv's, tablets, laptops, gaming systems, and more will all have the 5g chips in them. The 5g has the potential to be a huge game changer and companies are already preparing for it.

@gardenman

I found your comment very interesting re: 5G.  For this new revolution, what happens to the devices might have, Echo, tablets, laptops, desktops, etc. that are not 5G if we are going to be wireless, yet will not have a router.  Any information out there you can direct us for more information?  Thanks.....

We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I suspect you'll be able to buy a 5G enabled router, or use some, maybe many of the 5G enabled devices as a hotspot, much like many smartphones can be used as a hotspot now for devices that only have WiFi. There will be a transiton, likely a fairly quick one, from WiFi to 5G. I suspect that in ten years time finding a router will be similar to trying to find a dial up modem now.

Just Google "5G" and you'll find tons of articles detailing everything that's known about 5G at this point. There's tons and tons of stuff out there. If it works as anticipated, it's going to change the world in a big way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, thanks for the info on 5g.  What all this tells me is not to buy top of the line expensive streaming boxes as the technology changes so fast.  

Off to to educate myself on 5g.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stream either through one of my Tivos or the Roku3 units.

I use Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO GO, and the Showtime one (can't remember the name).

Between all of those and live/recorded tv, I'm pretty set.  Smiley Happy

I also have a Sony Bluray player that has streaming but I haven't even used that for years.

I'm not one for watching tv shows or movies on smaller screens such as a phone or laptop.   I have no interest in that.

Give up cable?  No way!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a cable internet bundle with Comcast, Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Love to watch European Chanels with iTunes apps and the Apple TV 🌻

Esteemed Contributor

@CHIP62 wrote:

I have a cable internet bundle with Comcast, Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Love to watch European Chanels with iTunes apps and the Apple TV 🌻

@CHIP62, which Apple TV do you have?  What apps are you using?  TIA.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Dear Lilysmom,

I have a 3rd Gen AppleTV (A1469) and the apps are all free in the iTune store:

Euro TV Live - Europe Television Channels By AppsVilla Inc.

France 24

TF1 France Télévisions - France3 Fashion Channel Milano Network Rai - Rai 1 BBC World News TV Sky News

Enjoy!🌻

Valued Contributor

I have Roku but here is my issue with it.  How to get local channels?  I would miss my DVR.  I also would miss breaking news.  

Once those issue are solved.  Cable is cut.

Esteemed Contributor

@Good4u, look for an installer for an Over the Air outdoor tv antenna.  It took me awhile to find an installer in my area.  I now get three local stations.  I scheduled to shut the cable off and have the installer come the next day.  I am in Canada.

With a lot of people cutting the cord, this is becoming more common.  You can also install indoor antennas but the over the air ones are better.  I have four tv's working in my home hooked up to the OTA antenna.

Good luck!  LM