Esteemed Contributor

What Media Streaming to you use?

What do you think of it?  Have you given up cable?

Interested to see what is popular.  I use an android box called MYGICA.  I cut the cable cord today.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: What Media Streaming to you use?

[ Edited ]

I dropped cable about 8 yrs ago, the cost was ridiculous and I was working long hours and not able to watch TV.  I got a roku but the TV died and I never replaced it. Retired 3 yrs ago, never got a new TV; continued to stream everything on my computer(s)/tablets.  I get what I want, don't have to pay for what I don't want or use and it works quite well for me--no complaint.  Am no longer confined to cable news networks, MSM, and use whatever news mediums I choose online, which are numerous.  Subscribe to Hulu, CRTV, Netflix and a favorite is Amazon Prime which includes video streaming and lots of other benefits to Prime.  Use Echo, Tap and Dot for whatever I want to hear during the day, i-heart radio, Metropolitan Opera, Audible, Pandora, you name it......and she helps me with things I would be googling.....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been using a Roku since it was first released, and have updated to newer models.

We subscribe to Amazon Prime, NetFlix, and Playstation Vue.

I recently got rid of cable because it was too expensive for the limited channels we got.

I like NetFlix the best. Amazon is also good, but harder to find what I am looking for. We have only had Playstation Vue for 2 months, but I like being able to watch ER and Greenleaf on that. I am not sure I will be keeping Vue after I see the complete ER seasons.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo@ScarletDove, we are fairly new to streaming.  I have an android box as indicated above.  Just cut off cable.  I am having an over the air antenna installed to give me local stations for news, weather etc.

After a few hiccups today, we are streaming no problem.  I don't think we will miss cable at all. 

What at are your favourite tv series?  Here are some of our recent watches.

A Place to Call Home, four seasons

Versailles, 2 Seasons

The Killing

Broadchurch

The Fall

Billions

Boardwalk Empire

North and South

Would love to hear your recommendations.  LM

Honored Contributor

I use Amazon Prime. When Big Brother starts in June I'll add on CBS All Access. I'm probably dropping cable in 2019 or 2020 when the 5g revolution takes over. The 5g wireless is going to be a game changer on pretty much every entertainment platform. Qualcomm has a prototype 5g chip that transmits and receives at around 35 gigabits per second with a much larger range than the current 4g tech. Those chips will be in everything and broadband as we know it now will be extinct.

There are some interesting times coming and they're coming soon. Instead of modems and routers, every device in your house will connect directly to the wireless provider. God only knows how the pricing will work out, but I suspect we'll buy bundles of access. Ten devices for $100 or something like that. Twenty devices for $150. Maybe $200 for 40 devices. Smartphones, hdtv's, tablets, laptops, gaming systems, and more will all have the 5g chips in them. The 5g has the potential to be a huge game changer and companies are already preparing for it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom  My favorites:

Comedies:  Frasier

Last Man Standing

Series:  Magnificent Century (Turkish, sub-titled, but a very entertaining "soap opera")

Longmire

Call The Midwife

Gilmore Girls

Bones

Criminal Minds

The Paradise

Mr. Selfridge

The Blacklist

Reign

The Practice (Not sure if it is still on Netflix)

Brothers and Sisters

Father Brown

Lost

Dexter

Stranger Things (can't wait for season 2)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Trusted Contributor

We use Apple TV.... dropped cable 2 years ago...luckily we have great internet with spectrum....funny how once you drop cable the companies offer you packages for almost 100.00 less than what we were paying...DW

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, there is Amazon Prime in Canada but it is not as good as yours or that is what I hear.  I have a mid range android box and I just ordered a higher ticket one called nvidia shield.   The higher priced one is for me to play with.  It has very good reviews. DH likes his sports and me, not so much so we both need to watch some things separately.

I also got rid of the home phone but I am blaming the cable company for that.  I was prepared to keep it as DH uses it for some Board meetings he still attends post retirement.  The cable bundles were just making it too costly when they heard we were dropping internet so we dropped the phone as well.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo, thanks for the list.  Will check it out.  LM

Respected Contributor

I have a Roku  but never use it.  I want to cut cable  but I need a devise that streams  live TV. So far the only service that does that is Sling but they do not have  the channel that has my favoriate shows yet ( The CW) once it does I will cut the cord. In the mean time I struggle paying my cable bill every month.