Honored Contributor

What Happened To The Free App Of The Day (FAOTD)

I use to get my Kindle and every day would check out the FAOTD. I always felt like I was getting a good deal. I even remember QVC making it a selling point.. Well about 2 weeks or so ago they did away with it! If I have to buy apps I'll buy them for my iPad. Bad move Kindle!

Respected Contributor

Re: What Happened To The Free App Of The Day (FAOTD)

If you go to Apps, then type in "free apps" in the search box, approximately 1 million free apps will appear for your viewing pleasure.  You can narrow it down, too, if 1 million seems daunting.  Man Happy

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I get daily notices of free apps from "apps gone free".  You might that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get daily notices of free apps from "apps gone free".  You might that.

Gee I don't get any notices. I know there are free apps but I kind of liked getting something that was offered for free that I otherwise would have had to pay for. The apps always showed you the price with a line through it. I feel the free apps that are offered were never available for a fee.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2. That's the was Apps Gone Free works.  For one day apps for which there is normally a charge are free.  They send a notice like clockwork every morning.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Jordan2. That's the was Apps Gone Free works.  For one day apps for which there is normally a charge are free.  They send a notice like clockwork every morning.

I wonder why I'm not getting any notices?

Contributor

You will need to download an app from Amazon called Amazon Underground. Apps Gone Free is some third party app store. Downloading apps from this type of site is very risky if you are concerned about your data security at all.
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW, Jordan2, just checked my Kindle and am disappointed that the feature is no longer there. I use to visit the app section everyday just to see what app was being offered for free from its original price. I think the most expensive freebie I got was originally $5.99.  I haven’t been as faithful to my Kindle as I use to be, otherwise I would have noticed the free app offer was gone. It was a great feature that gave me a chance to see what app choice was available that I would not normally pursue on my own and it introduced me to new categories.  Sorry to see it go.

Edit:  Found an article.  Hope the link works. 

http://www.gadgtspot.com/2015/08/26/amazon-quietly-kills-free-app-of-the-day-program/

Honored Contributor

@ariane wrote:
You will need to download an app from Amazon called Amazon Underground. Apps Gone Free is some third party app store. Downloading apps from this type of site is very risky if you are concerned about your data security at all.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if this is worth downloading if I have to worry about my data being secure. Why the change, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Honored Contributor

ariane wrote:

@ariane and @Jordan2, In fact, "Apps Gone Free" (by AppAdvice.com) is a reputable, safe, legitimate app (in iTunes' App Store*) but it's for iOS devices.  It works beautifully and provides daily alerts for a wide variety of well-rated apps which are free only for a limited time.  I've found some great apps by using it, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested.Smiley

(*link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apps-gone-free-best-daily/id470693788?mt=8)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova