Valued Contributor

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations if wanting to start a webpage and how to go about it?   I was told I needed to contact someone in "web design" but nothing more.   Does anyone know a person to contact or a company that would help in setting up an interactive website?  I have googled, but I don't think I'm using the correct lingo when searching.  

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23,  check out whois.com and godaddy.com.  I believe both have website builders, templates you can use to build your own site.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Sorry I'm no help with doing that. 

If you want to try to make your own you could check out Arachnophilia. DH used it to make our web page free. He uses atspace for web hosting. He paid $86.11 for 3 years last year. Their site now shows free web hosting so he needs to look into that. If it's free with ads he does not want that. 

Valued Contributor

@Julie_23   I use Vistaprint for my website, mainly because it's intuitive and fairly easy to use. The downside is they recently upped the charges per month to $29 from $19.  I may change companies, but mine is established now and I hate to start all over.

I've tried Go-daddy with little success (and I've had a website for a number of years and consider myself very techie.

In my opinion, there are NO free websites.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

Squarespace gets a lot of chatter on computing sites these days. Wix is also well thought of. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations if wanting to start a webpage and how to go about it?   I was told I needed to contact someone in "web design" but nothing more.   Does anyone know a person to contact or a company that would help in setting up an interactive website?  I have googled, but I don't think I'm using the correct lingo when searching.  

Thanks!

@Julie_23 You haven't given enough details for us to give you an answer, but I think you have a LOT to read and lean about.  It is a complex issue.  Commercial?  Personal? Frequency of changes? Platform support? Storage needs?  

Esteemed Contributor

You are do right, Sooner!  There is more to a website than what you see on a computer screen or phone!

If I didn't have computer knowledge, I would find someone who does to help me!  It can be complicated!

The ones on the internet may work, but I would find a more reputable source for my work.  I built a website for our Church but it was a long time ago!  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everybody, for the replies.  Much appreciation!!

@Sooner - You are right.  All good questions.  It would be commercial with likely needed platform support.  Not my area of expertise.  That's why I was hoping someone knew a name of a person or reputable company that I could then make an appointment with to ask about specifics.

@Zhills -- yes, exactly.  Having an interactive website is much more that what you see on a screen/phone.  And, I don't have the computer knowledge to do it and run it from scratch myself.  That's why I'm hoping to find a reputable name or company to help.  Very nice you built a website for your Church!!

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 My advice would be talk to commercial interprises in your area who have similar web sites and see what they do.

Also, smaller state agencies may have IT people who could offer suggestions, see if there are web design professional organizations or groups in your state, use their knowledge and resources.  IT people are usually willing to talk and share information and ideas.

Good luck!  Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, @Sooner !!   These are great suggestions -- much appreciation.