Honored Contributor

WIndows 10 update and privacy warnings

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine just posted this to his Facebook page and I thought I should share here as well. He's not an alarmist and has worked for Microsoft in the past, so I tend to take his advice. 

Everyone: Important information about the Windows 10 "Creators Update" that is rolling out this week.

Please, please don't just click through dialogs. This is a big, new update with a LOT of new privacy settings. There are now two new items in Settings: Apps and Gaming.

If nothing else, go to the Privacy section in Settings and check out every area. You'll probably be horrified (as I was) and turn off lots of things.

Once you download the update, read everything and carefully go through all your privacy settings.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WIndows 10 update and privacy warnings

@ChynnaBlue, good of you to post this.  I am still not regretting going MacBook Pro.  Nothing is perfect but Windows 10 was enough to push to Apple.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

more POSITIVES, in detail,  regarding the update via PC WORLD.....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3185756/windows/windows-10-creators-update-the-5-biggest-changes.html

Windows 10 just keeps getting bigger and better.

Microsoft just announced that the Windows 10 Creators Update will start rolling out on April 11, building upon the foundation laid by vanilla Windows 10 and its subsequent “November” and “Anniversary” updates. While not every feature that Microsoft promised at the Creators Update’s reveal last fall actually made the final cut, it’s still overflowing with helpful new extras that polish rough edges and just plain make things more fun.

You’ll need to read PCWorld’s comprehensive Windows 10 Creators Update review for our hands-on impressions, or PCWorld’s mammoth Creators Update roundup for nitty-grittier feature details, but here are the five biggest changes you’ll encounter when it rolls out to your device.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I will have to look at the privacy settings.  Mine was updated the other day but I haven't looked at the changes.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@ChynnaBlue, good of you to post this.  I am still not regretting going MacBook Pro.  Nothing is perfect but Windows 10 was enough to push to Apple.

@Lilysmom  - I'll be purchasing my first MacBook this year. I just need to decide which version will be best for my needs. Windows 10 has been the final straw for me, too. I'm done with Microsoft. 

@ChynnaBlue 

Thanks for the heads-up! Microsoft has made me hate my expensive laptop to the point that I only turn it on when I absolutely have to (posting from my iPhone now) but I will need to do that this weekend & will make a point to check the settings. 

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3, I bought the 13" MacBook Pro, the latest version but not the version with the touch bar.  For me, that added an extra $1000 and I wasn't prepared to spent that.  I really love this laptop.

I also just bought a 9.7 ipad pro.  To be honest, I prefer the laptop.  I use it for everything!  

Good luck to you in your search.  They are very helpful in the store.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@willdob3, I bought the 13" MacBook Pro, the latest version but not the version with the touch bar.  For me, that added an extra $1000 and I wasn't prepared to spent that.  I really love this laptop.

I also just bought a 9.7 ipad pro.  To be honest, I prefer the laptop.  I use it for everything!  

Good luck to you in your search.  They are very helpful in the store.  LM

@Lilysmom

Thanks. I hadn't thought about going to the store for some reason. I think I'll do that once I've narrowed it down a bit. I'm pretty sure I prefer a laptop to a tablet, too.

I know I want a keyboard and a CD/DVD player on it. I'll use it mostly for personal but I'll be writing business documents on it at times, too, so I might want a bit larger than 13 inches. I know my current 17 inch laptop is too big and heavy for me even though it sounded wonderful when I purchased it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3, the brand new MacBook Pro's with the touch bar don't have any of the traditional ports anymore.  They only have the thunder ports or lightening ports (the connector that is smaller than a USB).  

One of the reasons I bought my MacBook Pro without the touchbar was that it has an hdmi port, 2 USB ports, an SD card slot, a headphone slot and two thunder/lightening ports.

With the brand new touchbar version, you have to buy a dongle (sold by Apple of course) to connect your other devices.  Just another way for them to make $$$.  

I think you will find it hard to get a new PC with a CD/DVD slot.  They aren't the norm anymore as updates are done through downloading and a lot of data is streamed now.  

Make a trip into the store and let them walk you through the versions.  I didn't find that they tried to upsell me which I appreciated.

They did try to tell me I couldn't use my Sony ereader because the software was not updated.  They said I would have to buy a new one.  Not so.  I found a library called Calibre which I can use for everything with my Sony except to borrow from the library.

So, I don't believe everything they tell me but for the most part I found them pretty good.  

Good luck!  I love my MacBook.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom Thanks again! I obviously still have lots of research to do! I'm sure I'll find one that suits my needs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My computer hadn't updated yet but I have more time this weekend than I will during the coming week so I had it update today & then checked and changed the settings. Can't wait to be rid of Micosoft once & for all.