Honored Contributor

Re: WIFI connected to computer??

@Bigbear52the only thing I use WIFI for is my MacBook.  I didn't know you could run 2 different band widths at a time!

Currently we rent our modem from the cable company.  The tech guy told us to buy the best we could afford when we were ready to stop renting their modem.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My friend has her wifi modem running thru her computer.  I told her I did not think that was necessary, but not sure, she is adamant that this is the only way it would work for her to have wifi in her house.  My modem is not running thru my computer, I tried explaining to her how I thought it worked but she has a short fuse sometimes so I just let i drop..... Can someone please explain this to me...thanks

edited to add:  She does not use the computer, the wifi is for her IPhone, if that makes a differece.

Is the computer on or off? If the computer is turned off, it's not necessary for the modem to work. If if were, she would need to leave it running 24/7 or the WiFi wouldn't work.

If she did use the computer, having in plugged directly into the modem would provide faster internet connectivity, so it wouldn't hurt.

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Bigbear52the only thing I use WIFI for is my MacBook.  I didn't know you could run 2 different band widths at a time!

Currently we rent our modem from the cable company.  The tech guy told us to buy the best we could afford when we were ready to stop renting their modem.                                                                                                                                                    Yeah, It's a dual band router, it was just installed this past Saturday, along with the newest cable TV box called the X1, it has voice command, coolest thing! You can pause live TV, etc..Didn't think my chrome book could be any faster, but it is. I have Xfinity/Comcast. The whole sytem looks pretty cool.esp[ecially when the room is dark, with just the light of the TV.. The only thing I can't do now that I was able to do with the old cable box is, shop HSN/HSN2 by remote. The3 remote is lighted, t fades out until it's touched moved, etc...The battery life is even monitored I'm still exploring it.20170308_225012.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not understand.Are you saying  she has a cable going from her router to her computer?  Is the computer not wireless? Or are you saying the computer itself is generating the wifi  like a hotspot?

You can get a hotspot threw your wireless provider via tablet/cell phone  but not a desktop.

Normally your wireless goes threw a router in your house and then you can connect  all your devices wirelessly. I just not get  it I guess

Honored Contributor

It was common for older desktop computers to connect to wifi via wired ethernet ports; desktops did NOT always come with wireless internet - for quite a few years, actually. This person might have a desktop that old. Also, even today when a computer has wireless wifi and an ethernet port, a wired ethernet port will be faster compared to wireless. Most people ignore this because wireless is much more convenient and that's what most people value first and foremost.  But a hardwired connection will always be more stable and faster. But then you can't pick it up and move it around, so people don't do it any more.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It was common for older desktop computers to connect to wifi via wired ethernet ports; desktops did NOT always come with wireless internet - for quite a few years, actually. This person might have a desktop that old. Also, even today when a computer has wireless wifi and an ethernet port, a wired ethernet port will be faster compared to wireless. Most people ignore this because wireless is much more convenient and that's what most people value first and foremost.  But a hardwired connection will always be more stable and faster. But then you can't pick it up and move it around, so people don't do it any more.

I do.  I use my hardwired desktop more than any other device.  I know a lot of people who still use a desktop at home for business and pleasure.  Is it as common as 10 years ago?  No, but there are a lot of people who prefer a large screen when using a computer. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I do.  I use my hardwired desktop more than any other device.  I know a lot of people who still use a desktop at home for business and pleasure.  Is it as common as 10 years ago?  No, but there are a lot of people who prefer a large screen when using a computer. 

I agree with you, but my point was more directed to those in the thread who aren't aware that all computers haven't always had wireless capabilities. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I wish tablets would have an option for hard wired connections.  I much preferred my old desktop with one of those than the wi-fi hookups today.  But then, even using a tablet, I keep it on my desk and don't move it around.  And it's one less thing to have to check when something isn't working right!