Honored Contributor

We purchased a Samsung Smart TV 8000 series and hooked it up today.  It is voice activated...but we are wondering...is there not a way to punch in the channel we want vs alwasy speaking the channel we want?  Playing around we use the guide and go up and down the channels but that will not work long term.

We CAN STILL use our spectrum remote to change the channel but eventually we will be able to get rid of the spectrum box and use their app., so once the box is gone we are wondering how we can change the channel with out speaking, I did look thru the user manual, it was of no help, any advice is welcome.

Honored Contributor

Re: Voice actived television

@Mom2Dogs   You may have to contact tech support.  Voice activation would be handy until you wanted to change channels quietly, as you'd do in a bedroom with a sleeping spouse.  I have an older Samsung smart TV and it's constantly going whacko and I spend a week trying to figure out how to correct it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Google smart home starter why can't I change channels on my Samsung. The info. there may help you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
@Mom2Dogs 
Samsung has a chat feature at their. Com. The company has a customer forum. 
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg  @Nightowlz  @Kachina624 

Thanks for the replies..I spent a lot of time online trying to figure out how to manually change channels...once we get rid of the spectrum box....that's why I asked the question.  I could not get an answer, grrr.

I had never set up a smart tv...what a pain, but managed to get it done.  I told my husband he never would have gotten it set up because he has no idea how to use a computer and I needed to put in email, password, etc.  

We had no idea that the remote did not have any numbers on it for channel changing.  We assumed (bad thought on our part) that the remote would allow both ways to change a channel.  Things are getting to technical for both of us. We are going to the city today and my husband will go into the store and ask a sales associate about the remote.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

I agree as I was just typing in also to use a Universal Remote with it. You also can just Channel up and down on a Samsung Remote without using voice commands as we have one of the Samsung TV's that have one like that. We own 3 Samsung TVs and each has a different remote.
Hope you find the answer you need.

Honored Contributor

I guess the concern about voice-activated TV's - as well as remotes - is that someone could be llstening in on your conversations.  So, it's best to take sensitive subject matter to another room, out of the TV's range.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a new Samsung TV, no channel numbers on the remote but, if I select menu, it shows the TV listings.   In all fairness, I have mine set up to an antenna so, the list is short.  I can also select stations to stream through the remote using the menu option.  It is also where you can make changes, add channels and add streamiing apps, etc.

Honored Contributor

@gadgetgal613  We can view channels as well but have to scroll up or down to get the channel we want (we have cable and a zillion channels).  

I was hoping to be able to either speak or punch in the channel we wanted.  Hopefully we get an answer today when my husband stops back onto the store to ask.