Honored Contributor

Shortly after we moved here years ago we signed with Comcast. We still had Verizon for our cell phones.

There was an outage, not weather related, and Verizon was out for almost a week. Luckily our home phone, TV, and Internet worked. 

I decided then we would keep both in case that happened again.

Fast forward to today. Both bills have been going up. This evening a team of 2 young people from Verizon came to the door. After talking to them we decided to go with Verizon for everything. They were able to cut our two bills more than half for what we are now getting.

I remembered later on that they really hadn't gone over what channels we would be getting. I plan to call tomorrow morning and check on this, because according to the law we have 3 days to cancel everything.

I hope we made the right decision. If you have Verizon are you happy with them? 

Honored Contributor

I had Verizon FIOS for my internet at my old house and it was great. I'd have it here, but the complex doesn't offer it. I couldn't get FIOS TV there due to local restrictions, but you can find the FIOS TV Channel listing for your area online pretty easily to see what they offer. We can't do links here any longer, but just search for "Verizon FIOS TV Channel listing" and you should be able to find what channels are available in your area.

If you don't mind the hassle of switching back and forth, you can often save a lot by using Verizon for a couple of years and then moving back to Comcast when the promos at Verizon fall off.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Verizon Fios Question

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom  When did Verizon start making house calls to sign people up? Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@beach-mom  When did Verizon start making house calls to sign people up? Smiley Surprised

@Mz iMac - I know this is unusual these days! Had I been home alone I would not have answered the door. 

It was Friday evening, DH was just coming in, and two young people, one woman and one man, who were in their 20's rang the doorbell. They had ID badges on a lanyard around their necks. We stood outside and talked to them. They answered our questions and showed us the figures. We liked what they offered.

We visited with them some, asking where they went to college, what they majored in, etc. it was a nice evening and not too hot. We gave them water and Rice Krispie treats when they left. They were planning to be in the neighborhood a little longer. 

We live near a small town.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

When I worked for Frontier Communications, we had people going door-to-door offering deals. They were subcontractors who often got better deals for customers than we could offer from customer support. Some of those salespeople were very good at customer support. I took a call from one of them whose customer got their first bill and found it differed from what the salesperson had promised. That salesperson called us himself to get it fixed for the customer and to ensure that his customer got the deal he'd promised them. It's not uncommon to use outside independent contractors for Internet, TV, and phone sales. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I've had Verizon Fios for about 20 years with no problems.  Cell, land line, internet and cable are in the package.  The few times I have had to call them though the wait time to get someone is frustrating but this is probably true with all providers.  If a problem does occur it can usually be resolved with their automatic service without talking to a rep.  The system walks you through fixing the issue.  It's been fine for me.  Cutting your bills to more than half is a good thing.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Verizon Fios Question

[ Edited ]

We had landlines, internet and TV (bundled) through Verizon FIOS for several years.

Everything worked great with no issues whatsoever - All of my favorite TV channels were included, and the Guide was easy to navigate, with the ability to setup my "Favorites" - Internet/WiFi speeds were good and seldom went out.

However, the costs kept increasing, and we eliminated the landline, switched to Consumer Cellular for our cellphones, and now subscribe to a couple of streaming services for TV.

My only complaint with Verizon FIOS is the costSmiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

I just moved recently.  Had Comcast at home, we had Verizon here, switched it back to Comcast.  Got a lower bill but still high.  With all the streaming channels also getting rate hikes, maybe some are better than others.   I have no issues with xfinity internet.  I'm not the big TV watcher here, but we don't do a lot of entertainment outside much these days, so we are ok with the cost.  Wasn't a Verizon fan.