Esteemed Contributor

Re: Use yr Cell for Bank Business? How assure yr safety?

Yes I use it for banking, sending money to family for immediate use, transferring monies between accounts, paying bills etc.  A lot of encription on my phone. As or more secure as using lap or desk top.  Not connected to wi fi.  Last week paid my bills while waiting for groceries to be loaded into my car.  

Honored Contributor

No, I do not use my cell phone for online banking.  I do have access to my bank online, through the browser on my computer, but I don't feel comfortable doing bank through an app on my phone.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Besides, while I have an iPhone 11 and it's pretty large, I don't like doing lots of online stuff with such a small screen and keyboard. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Yes I use it for banking, sending money to family for immediate use, transferring monies between accounts, paying bills etc.  A lot of encription on my phone. As or more secure as using lap or desk top.  Not connected to wi fi.  Last week paid my bills while waiting for groceries to be loaded into my car.  

~~~~

@mspatmac  Thanks for responding..

I'm not very Cell Phone adept, at all!... but, if u dont mind me asking,  is yr "lot of encryption" ...  something u provided,  .. or, say,  software that came with the Cell phone? .. or downloaded yrself, like an APP, .. or is it something yr Bank provided?

.. I have no idea how to make my Cell Phone secure (beyond passwords), (esp for Bank/Personal business). 

...  (NOTE)... I don't mind if u "take a pass" on my question, if I'm asking info that is too personal for u to share.   TIA!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't use my cell. Since I don't take my iPad out of the house, I use my iPad. 

All devices and a home's internet network can be hacked.

Respected Contributor

I use my iPad instead of my phone because of the size. I don't hesitate to use it and feel as safe with it as I do my MacBook Pro.

Trusted Contributor

I do all my banking on my iPad.  I rarely do anything on my laptop and I haven't been past the ATMs at an actual bank in years. Huge time saver. 

Esteemed Contributor

@TwinkleBell   First let me say I am speaking only to an iPhone.  I am not an expert, just a regular user.

I store my credit cards in my phone and when I use it as a payment method in a store it encrypts my card number so my actual card number is not transmitted.

I use the most billers app to pay bills and get immediate acknowledgement my payment is scheduled. 

I also have my banks app available and have it set up to let me know when a charge was made and a daily recap of my accounts.

I have face recognition to access apps in addition to a password that I can use

All bills come via email

I use what was pre installed for security and make sure I keep it updated

Apps will walk you through set up processes including your banks.  

I do not use Internet or browser to pay bills on my phone.

There are many posters that are much more tech savvy but this all works for me.  You should only do what you are comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

Data is data. Whether you access the bank/your account through your phone, through an ATM, or through a checkout scanner, the data is out there.

Even banking in person isn't perfect. I was waiting for a desk in my bank once when the person in front of me filled in a withdrawal slip. They'd picked up two without realizing it and had them atop one another as they filled it in. Only when they'd finished did they realize they had two and put the second one back into the holder. I picked it up and the carbon (or whatever they use as carbon these days) on the second form had picked up the pressure of the pen from the top form and all of that person's information (name, address, account number, etc.) was there on the second page of the second form. I tore that form up and picked up another one, but their information was all there and someone more nefarious could have drained their account.

I would not use public Wi-Fi for banking. There's too much risk there without extra encrypting, but mobile data and your home Wi-Fi are about as safe as anything else. Nothing's perfect. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

The only banking I do on my phone is depositing checks since I have to take a photo of it with my phone. Easy and fast. I also. Have to always log on to do it and log out afterwards. Never had a problem with it.