Contributor

Trying to activate new Tracfone

I am trying to activate a new Samsung phone purchased through QVC just a couple of weeks ago.  When I enter the SIM card #, message says "Your SIM card is in an invalid status".  I have tried bypassing this screen by saying I have no SIM card # and then entering the IMEI #.  From the IMEI screen when I press "continue", nothing happens.  Just continues to stay on the same screen.  I know I entered the IMEI correctly (correct number of digits), because I have the cute little check mark in green.  And there is no error message on this screen. 

Anyone else having this problem with a recent Tracfone purchase from QVC?

Regular Contributor

Re: Trying to activate new Tracfone

I am a long time TracFone user and recently had a similar issue when trying to buy airtime.  It turned out to be the Firefox browser that I was using.  I switched to my MS Edge browser and was able to successfully complete the transaction.

I had called TracFone for assistance and they were the ones who identified that it could be a browser issue.

Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

I am also unable to add minutes . I’ve tried several browsers ,too.

Honored Contributor

@jrcnc wrote:

I am trying to activate a new Samsung phone purchased through QVC just a couple of weeks ago.  When I enter the SIM card #, message says "Your SIM card is in an invalid status".  I have tried bypassing this screen by saying I have no SIM card # and then entering the IMEI #.  From the IMEI screen when I press "continue", nothing happens.  Just continues to stay on the same screen.  I know I entered the IMEI correctly (correct number of digits), because I have the cute little check mark in green.  And there is no error message on this screen. 

Anyone else having this problem with a recent Tracfone purchase from QVC?

@jrcnc 

I've had issues in the past activating a phone through their website or normal customer service phone number, but the 1-800-867-7183 number included on the card with phones purchased through the shopping channels has never failed me. Try using that number and see if it doesn't solve your problem. It's supposedly an exclusive number for shopping channel buyers and it works. (At least for me.) 

It's an automated system and you'll be given several options. Choose the "transfer a number" or "activate" option. Then it'll ask if the number you're calling from (and it tells you the number) is the one you want to transfer. Then it'll ask for the serial number of the new phone. (Found on the red card that comes with new phones.) Then it'll repeat back the serial number and ask you to confirm it. Then it'll give you instructions to turn off the phone and then turn it back on again and try making a call after the phone has been activated.

I've never had an issue using that number. I don't know why the rest of their systems are so screwed up, but that exclusive number works every time for me. I don't even try anything else these days. I just look for that card and use that phone number. It just works.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've had TracFone for years and never had a bit of trouble activating them.  I bought a Moto phone and waited until the last minute to transfer data from my Samsung phone and activate it.  What a mess!  I got my apps transferred but no pictures.  I have no idea how to get the phone to work. I suppose I've lost my phone number as my service expired.  I'm sick of fooling with it and am thinking Consumer Cellular.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  My browser was the problem---I suppose.  I was using Chrome originally, but based on your response I used MS Edge.  And the activation went right through with no problem.  I am very glad I did not resort to calling CS.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I completed the activation process by switching from Chrome to MS Edge.  But I will definitely keep this phone number you provided.  It may be very useful at some point.

Honored Contributor

@jrcnc   What is the service plan pin?

Honored Contributor

@gardenman    You wrote:

"I've had issues in the past activating a phone through their website or normal customer service phone number, but the 1-800-867-7183 number included on the card with phones purchased through the shopping channels has never failed me."

That is the same number listed on the TracFone website for all CS contact.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jrcnc @I had the same experience as @bayflwc I had to go on a wild goose chase all over the site, I was on the app, to find a way to add air time. This company really needs customer service. I'd be willing to pay an extra costs per use fee for customer service from them with an American agent.