Respected Contributor

Apparently the IRS Free File Fillable Forms do not recognize Tracfone numbers. You can't file your taxes (if you have an amount due) without a recognizable phone number. Tracfone customer service (I talked to two supervisors) said they never heard of this problem. I'm back to mailing my 1040 in. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

I've had the same problem. Not filing but to request old returns.

I believe it's because I use a Verizon prepaid plan for my dumb phone. They say they have to verify the number belongs to me.

I'm good without a smartphone and a monthly bill that has taxes and fees.

Honored Contributor

It's probably an issue with any prepaid phone. They're often used as burner phones for those in criminal enterprises, so the IRS likely wants you to use a phone that they can definitively tie to you. In as much as they can tie any phone definitively to you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a new Tracfone and they 'ported' over my landline number.

Don't understand why a number would make a difference!

Frequent Contributor

I've had this same situation with our Tracfone.  Ours was I think when I was trying to set up a vacation hold for our mail with the Post Office.  They wanted a cell phone number and they said our Tracfone number could not be confirmed as belonging to us.  I do think it is because we have a prepaid plan.  

I gave them our land line phone number which we have had for decades, but of course that didn't work - they wanted a cell phone number.  With the Post Office there was the alternative of them mailing us a code number (or whatever it was they needed to send us) via the US Mail.  So we had enough time for them to mail us the info as opposed to getting it via our cell phone number.  

Honored Contributor

I'd never heard of this problem.  We set up online Tracfone accounts with our names and info years ago, so I wonder if that would solve the problem?

Our accounts show every Tracfone we've ever had.  With so many people having cell phones now, you'd think they could find a way around this, even using two-step authentification.

Respected Contributor

I've heard of that problem before also. 

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Try filing with just your email address. I also use Free File Fillable Forms and didn't use a phone number. Their FAQ says you need one or the other.

free file email phone.JPG

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina  It wasn't the verification -- it was the daytime phone number required to make a payment. This is not required if you're getting a refund.

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I looked at the instructions, and there are two additional options you can choose to pay. There's B - Pay by check, and C - Pay with IRS direct pay.

Would option C work for you? Try it and see. I looked at the payment form for direct pay, and it doesn't ask for a phone number, but I couldn't check past that point. If you can't do direct pay, you can choose option B, efile the return, and send a check or money order with form 1040V by mail. Just mail it by the due date. That's my understanding of this.

fee file pay taxes.JPG