Respected Contributor

Someone please help me with this. What is the difference between a Trac Phone and a Smart Phone?  I am technically challenged and still use my flip phone.  I don't understand a lot of this new technology - only use and understand my computer.  I have researched this and it is still confusing.  In simple laymans terms, could some tell what the difference is as I would like to buy either a Trac or a smart phone to come into this century (lol).  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: TracPhone vs. Smart Pone?

Tracfone is a company.  Smartphones are a type of cell phone.  Tracfone sells flip and smartphones that are locked to their company meaning that you can only use them with Tracfone service, which mainly uses Verizon towers.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Tracfone is a company.  Smartphones are a type of cell phone.  Tracfone sells flip and smartphones that are locked to their company meaning that you can only use them with Tracfone service, which mainly uses Verizon towers.

Ainhisg - Thank you, now I understand.  I use AT&T so I guess I will go to their store and get a smart phone.  

Trusted Contributor

@lovesallanimals A mobile phone and a smartphone are both mobile devices you can use to call and send texts. That's about where a mobile phone stops, too, though some also feature a camera.   

A smartphone has all kinds of extra functionalities, like Internet access, the option of downloading apps, and a camera. 

Trac Phone is an American prepaid, no-contract mobile phone provider. TFWI is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications,

Super Contributor

I use a TracPhone which I purchased from a past QVC TSV. For what I usually use it for (texts & calls--not internet) it great! I use to have a android phone with the AT&T service plan. I'm much happier with the TracPhone. AT&T charged so much each month for their service plan. When you buy a TracPhone (which is a Samsung phone), you pre-purchase your minutes. I always buy enough to last about a year. It costs around a hundred dollars a year. Sometimes I run out of text messages before the year is up, but I can easily purchase quite a few more minutes for around $5 or $10. 

Honored Contributor

A smartphone is essentially a multi-purpose device you carry with you. It's a phone, digital camera, digital camcorder, GPS unit, MP3 player, computer, game console, clock, alarm clock, timer, stopwatch, internet browser, address book, and more.  There's a reason they call them a "smart" phone. They do pretty much everything. And they do pretty much everything very, very well. You're not really sacrificing anything and getting everything with a smartphone. Many now have digital cameras that rival much more expensive digital cameras. The amount of stuff they cram into a smartphone is impressive.

Once you get one, you'll likely feel a bit overwhelmed. Just understand that it's like trying to learn twenty or so new devices at once, so give yourself some breathing room and just relax. Focus on one feature at a time and in no time, you'll be a pro. Maybe start with the camera and just play with taking photos and videos for a day or two. Then maybe try out the GPS function on a short trip to shop or something. Even if you know exactly where to go and how to get there. Just take baby steps and in no time you'll have it all figured out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals - Tracfone also uses AT&T towers.  DH and I have had Tracfones for over 20 years now.  We're rural and have great service.

If you're wondering whether Tracfone will cover your area, there's a way to find out by entering your zip code.

It really depends on how much you use your phone, whether a prepaid or monthly contract is better for you.  Tracfone uses both and you can also now get unlocked phones.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine not having a smartphone. The ability to access your emails away from home. Many curbside pickup systems require internet access. Using portal systems to communicate with your doctor. GPS. And many more.

The title of this thread forced me to look up some corn pone recipes. Been a long time.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals  I too have a flip phone.  DH wants me to get a "smart phone" but I don't see the purpose.  My phone which I got from AT&T and costs $30 every 3 months allows me to make phone calls, which I don't make many since we have a landline; text, which I rarely do and a camera.  What else do I need?  I'm sure there will come a time when a smart phone will be a necessity but I hope I'm gone from this world by then--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I have a Tracfone, but I switched my service from Verizon to T-Mobile.