Valued Contributor

Saturday I noticed that my computer was running slow.  I cleaned it out and ran scans and nothing showed up.  Then I went into programs looking to see if any new programs installed about that time.  I did find Microsoft  365-es-u on 5/28, 0.99 GB, 16.015226.2... on 5/28.  I didn't put it in and was wondering if Microsoft could of put it in but thought it was a subscription.  I thought of taking it out but it said if it's taken out of programs that it can't be put back in.  I suspect this may be slowing down my computer.  When I hit a site on my toolbar the computer goes to it but then there is a small blue dot along the page I want.  I assume this is slow downloading of the page.  Anyone else have this problem.  I thought the 365 was like office and student I had on my old computer.  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Mine seems to do that when there's a holiday and more people are home on their pc's.  Or any time that more people might be home on their pc's.

Honored Contributor

Did you clear your history, cache and cookies? Have you run a virus scan? If not do that and then turn off your computer for a minute. Hopefully, it'll help.

Valued Contributor

I did clean everything out and ran Ccleaner which was fine.  I did a search to see if others were having problems but nothing.  I even reset my modem thinking there could of been a problem.  Still the same after doing that.  My computer usually loads fast but now it reminds me of almost dial up.  Hope when I get home later it will all work fine.  Wondering about the 365 install.  I checked my security also and said it's fine.

Honored Contributor

Whenever your Windows computer slows down, Task Manager is your best friend. It'll show you where the problem lies. If you launch Task Manager and click on the "Performance" tab, you can see exactly what's going on with your computer at that moment.

As I'm typing this, my CPU usage is at 2%-4% and running at 3.55-4.09 GHz. I'm using 25% of my memory (7.7 of 31.4 GBs.) Neither hard disk is currently doing anything. My ethernet is just sitting there waiting for it to be needed, and my GPU is running at 0%-2% and at 32 degrees Celsius.

On the Processes tab, I have two things using most of the resources. Edge (which I'm using as my web browser,) and Kindle Create (as I'm preparing book five in my Sara X Series for publication.)

Suffice to say my computer is not being slowed down in the least. If it was, I could see where (CPU, GPU, Memory, hard drives, programs, processes, etc.) and take corrective actions to fix the issue. 

When your computer is running slow, first, reboot it, then if it's still slow, go to Task Manager and see why it's running slow. The answer is typically there. A memory stick could have failed. Your hard drive could be at or near capacity. Or there's a rogue app/program eating resources. Task Manager is your best friend when it comes to troubleshooting a slow computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Slow Computer

[ Edited ]

Also, reset your wifi router by unplugging the power cord from the wall outlet, wait about 15 seconds and then plug it back into the wall. That will clear out unnecessary data which accumulates inside the router over time and will update the router software itself to provide the best performance and secuity. That unnecessary data can cause a breach in your wifi network and leaving it inside your router can give crooks a way into your electronics. Reboot time will vary but it should only take a couple of minutes. Resetting a router should be part of a normal maintenance routine. I reset mine at least once weekly.

Valued Contributor

I just did a reboot and something came up about GDI telementry or something similar and said it was preventing shutdown.  I didn't get the whole thing so tried to reboot again and it didn't show this time.  It disappeared before I could see what to do, there was more but I didn't see it.  I did a search and apparently it's from windows.  I hope I can figure it out.  I did have a comcast person out a few weeks ago and he told me I don't have to pull the plug out on the modem, said just to pull the cord out of the back once a month for a few minutes.  I will check the CPU later, I did the other day and it was fine but will check.

Another things a few days ago I copied some info and downloaded it.  I see that in downloads it has the big Windows W on, I opened it and it took me to Windows 365 on Edge.  Never saw the big W on any downloads.

Valued Contributor

Well I think I may be going to have my computer fixed.  I took out the Microsoft 365 from programs and now I can't get into Firefox which is my main browser.  I can use edge which I don't like.  When I tried to get into firefox it said there was a system error, VCRUNTIME140_1.dll and it said it was not found.  So this is another problem.  Not sure I can fix it myself.  I removed 365 and my computer was fine until I restarted and then no firefox.  Firefox is still in programs so now my problem expands.   

Super Contributor

You'll pay a lot of money for something you can do yourself. Does Windows still have system restore?  If so, pick, a date before the problem started.  The other thing, turn off auto updates.  You'll get a notice, I do with my Mac, there are updates and you can decide whether to update or not.  

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

Well I think I may be going to have my computer fixed.  I took out the Microsoft 365 from programs and now I can't get into Firefox which is my main browser.  I can use edge which I don't like.  When I tried to get into firefox it said there was a system error, VCRUNTIME140_1.dll and it said it was not found.  So this is another problem.  Not sure I can fix it myself.  I removed 365 and my computer was fine until I restarted and then no firefox.  Firefox is still in programs so now my problem expands.   

The VCRUNTIME error is not uncommon. You can download and install the Visual C++ package from Microsoft and it should fix that issue. They won't let us post links these days, but if you search for that issue on the Microsoft Community forums at answers.microsoft.com you should find a link to the downloads you need. It's typically a very easy fix.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!