Trusted Contributor

Re: Time for a new laptop

[ Edited ]

I, too, have had to replace my Toshiba.  I don't want or need a business computer, the Dynabook.  I actually cried the other night when I ordered the HP Envy to replace the Toshiba.  I would have kept the Toshiba if Windows 7 woud still be updated.

A lot of the "Best Top 10 Computers" mentioned a Dell model, but I will never have a Dell again.  Service call---connected to someone in a foreign country I won't mention so as not to offend anyone.  Couldn't understand what they were saying.  We returned a $300 part and Dell said they never received it.  When I called about getting our $300 credit (called for about the tenth time), their representative from this other country said "Is the man of the house there?"  Needless to say, a Dell computer will never be in my house again.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Time for a new laptop

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

I, too, have had to replace my Toshiba.  I don't want or need a business computer, the Dynabook.  I actually cried the other night when I ordered the HP Envy to replace the Toshiba.  I would have kept the Toshiba if Windows 7 woud still be updated.

A lot of the "Best Top 10 Computers" mentioned a Dell model, but I will never have a Dell again.  Service call---connected to someone in a foreign country I won't mention so as not to offend anyone.  Couldn't understand what they were saying.  We returned a $300 part and Dell said they never received it.  When I called about getting our $300 credit (called for about the tenth time), their representative from this other country said "Is the man of the house there?"  Needless to say, a Dell computer will never be in my house again.

@wismiss

I do hope you enjoy your new computer?

All of the Dell consumers tech support is based outside the USA. I would assume that HP support is the same. 

JMO, you may want to call HP tech support with any questions after you receive your warranty.

HP has a great peer-to-peer customer support forum. I found the information on this site to very helpful. 

I do not buy Dell computers for the great tech support, but the technology in products. If I want a computer with the new wireless adapter running WiFi 6, Dell sells it in some of their high-end computers. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I hate buying new computers.  Our computer guy tells me what to buy based on our use and needs but it is still confusing.

The one thing he is clear on is buy direct.  Not via Best Buy, QVC, Target etc.  One of our computers came with a flaw and he had to work directly with DELL or HP whichever IT support and he said it we had bought it anywhere but direct we would have had to send it back.  Computers bought direct come with white glove support - I was not aware of this difference.

Your manufacture's warranty is the same no matter where you buy the computer.  There is no reason you would have needed to send it back because you bought it at a retail store.

I did not say anything about the difference in warranty.

The difference was the Tech support provided by the manufacturer is vastly different.   

You get the same tech support during the warranty period.  I recently bought a new Apple Macbook Pro from Best Buy, purchased Apple Care from Apple and I have the exact tech support as people who bought the computer directly from Apple.  You can do the same with other companies. You don't have to buy directly from the company to get the same tech support. 

According to people who fix computers you do.  The IT support firm that works for my company confirmed the same thing as if it was common knowledge.

The manf tech support even extended my warranty for free and upgraded my hardware for free since it took several hours working with my computer guy to resolve the issue.  They admitted the problem was theirs.

I can honestly say I have NEVER called a manf. Tech support line.  It is not what I do for a living.  When I heard my Tech Guy talking to their tech people I had NO idea what they were even talking about.  They solved problems I did not even know I had.

I also can report my co-worker who bought a HP laptop at Walmart was told by several repair places that computers sold by Walmart are not worth the $$ fixing just buy a new one.   She said they could tell by the numbers on the bottom it is a made for WM model and they all said the same thing,  "save your money and buy something else."

Trusted Contributor

within the next few months i'm going to be looking for a new chromebook.. but this time i know about the "expiration date" and i will be asking them when it is.. i knew nothing avout this when i got my 1st chromebook.. and mine has lasted 4 yrs... love my chromebook though.. i only use mine for shopping, surfing the net etc.. definetely getting another one,,,,

Honored Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

within the next few months i'm going to be looking for a new chromebook.. but this time i know about the "expiration date" and i will be asking them when it is.. i knew nothing avout this when i got my 1st chromebook.. and mine has lasted 4 yrs... love my chromebook though.. i only use mine for shopping, surfing the net etc.. definetely getting another one,,,,

@bonnie f 

Look here for expiration dates for most any brand and model. This list is long. It helped me choose the one I bought.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en