Super Contributor

I have a question. I was gifted this tablet for Christmas. I also have a Samsung 9+ phone. Is there anyway that I can transfer things from my phone to the tablet?

I am also finding it frustrating that the apps I have on my phone. I cant find on the appstore on the tablet. Like the Ring app for one. Why is this since they are both google?

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Fire tablets are made by Amazon and favor their products.  You can easily transfer photos from other sources (call Amazon help for assistance).

Esteemed Contributor

The Fire OS restricts you to Amazon's apps rather letting you see all Google apps for androids.

You will need to install Google's Play Store.

Respected Contributor

Amazon has its own version of Android - it's not quite the same as what you have on Samsung.  I think you have to use the apps on the Amazon website.  In order to use the google play store, you would have to hack your tablet. 

I've been looking at this tablet quite a bit. I think it's great if you get most of your books and videos from Amazon, but I normallly use overdrive and a few public libraries.  I don't believe wireless printing is available on it. And the Carnival cruise app does not work with it. It's rated as one of the best tablets for media with a great price - which makes it so tempting. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

The Fire OS restricts you to Amazon's apps rather letting you see all Google apps for androids.

You will need to install Google's Play Store.

I think when you do that, then you void out the warranty. But if that doesn't matter to you then feel free to do it. I did that with my Fire and it was pretty easy to do.

Super Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

Amazon has its own version of Android - it's not quite the same as what you have on Samsung.  I think you have to use the apps on the Amazon website.  In order to use the google play store, you would have to hack your tablet. 

I've been looking at this tablet quite a bit. I think it's great if you get most of your books and videos from Amazon, but I normallly use overdrive and a few public libraries.  I don't believe wireless printing is available on it. And the Carnival cruise app does not work with it. It's rated as one of the best tablets for media with a great price - which makes it so tempting. 

@cindyNC, Overdrive is available through Amazon Apps. My understanding is that wireless printing is available, you might have to download the manufacturer's app. I haven't tried it. I only use my Amazon 8" Fire for Overdrive when the book I want isn't available through Kindle format just ePub. 

Honored Contributor

I used an app called "Transfer Wizard" to transfer data from one device to another.  You have to download it to both devices but it worked fast and flawlessly..  Does the Amazon tablet use the Play store from which to download apps?  I know the Ring app is on the Play store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I used an app called "Transfer Wizard" to transfer data from one device to another.  You have to download it to both devices but it worked fast and flawlessly..  Does the Amazon tablet use the Play store from which to download apps?  I know the Ring app is on the Play store.

@Kachina624

The new Fire 10 Tablet runs an Amazon version of Android Pie.. This OS can be modified to run the Google Play store apps. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg. I had a small 7 or 8" Amazon tablet 4 or 5 years ago and hated the darn thing.  I'm  accustomed to standard Android and didn't care for their version or their ads at all.  I don't even know where it is today.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I use public libraries and Overdrive on my Fire 10. Am also able to use wireless printing.