Esteemed Contributor

HELP!! THE COLOR ON MY LAPTOP IS WONKY!

[ Edited ]

Not sure if that is a technical term.

This morning  when I got on my laptop, the color is off.  I am in no way technical.  The page with all my icons  (I am sure there is a name for that) usually is black, but now it is green and wavy.  I downloaded a picture from an email and the color was the same thing.  The script portion is normal.  My computer is old, but does what I need it for (which isn't much).  It has Windows 9 - I think.  It was the one that when it came out, they shortly after provided an upgrade (9.8??) which I never did.

Do I need to start looking for a new laptop??  Say it isn't so!

TIA  I will check back in a bit and fingers crossed, someone can help me!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP!! THE COLOR ON MY LAPTOP IS WONKY!

[ Edited ]

Green screens are usually a sign of it getting old. While your laptop may function okay, that color problem most likely won't go away because it's damaged from being used for so long. I think a new laptop is in your future. @tends2dogs 

Backup your files before it dies completely. No telling when that might happen.

How old is it anyway?

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

This morning  when I got on my laptop, the color is off.  I am in no way technical.  The page with all my icons  (I am sure there is a name for that) usually is black, but now it is green and wavy.  I downloaded a picture from an email and the color was the same thing.  The script portion is normal.  My computer is old, but does what I need it for (which isn't much).  It has Windows 9 - I think.  It was the one that when it came out, they shortly after provided an upgrade (9.8??) which I never did.

Green is not a sign of getting old.  It's a sign your video is going bad.  Back up your data and buy a new computer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs- You've been given good advice:  back up your computer now to an external drive and start looking for a new one.  It sounds as if your current machine has given you very good service for a long time and it's telling you it's time for it to retire.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @glb613 , @Venezia , @SilleeMee .  While closing the "lid" on my computer after I wrote my plea for help, the color came back.  

I think this computer is around 3 years old.  Is that the same as dog years??  I have no idea what backing up on a hard drive is about.  This is how old (fashioned) I am, I have one of those ClickFree things that QVC sold eons ago.  Every few months or so, I back it up with that.  I am sure there is a more up to date way of accomplishing this.  Maybe I need to head to one of those computer fix it places ??!!

I can't stand the thought of starting over with a new computer..........

Honored Contributor

Three years is not that old. Your Click Free backup drive is fine to use. I'm glad the color problem seemed to go away. Hope that doesn't happen again. But if it does then maybe take it in and have it checked. @tends2dogs  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @SilleeMee .  I will keep an eye on it.  I have always wondered about the ClickFree.  We have had it for years, used it to load in stuff, but have never used it to transfer to another device.  We have always taken our new computers in to a local place and they set them up for us.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs

You are trusting your data to an old Click Free. You can backup your files and photos to Google Drive and Google Photos.

You only need a Gmail account. A Gmail account is free. 

Please go online and read how to save your important files. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you get four years out of any computer device consider yourself lucky. I am sure the term is not "Wonky"Woman WinkWoman LOL

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait until mine croaks so I can get the ASUS Chromebook Flip.  I love ASUS, so pretty, so easy and slick.  And not expensive.