Honored Contributor

Re: This was my laugh for the day today

while sitting my 3yr old GD today she said ""Grandmom can I play on your iPad?"" I said ""sure"" then she looked at me & said ""you need to go to your apps to get my game!"" She was cute (she looked frustrated) but she downloaded her game! Amazing
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/23/2015 homedecor1 said: while sitting my 3yr old GD today she said "Grandmom can I play on your iPad?" I said "sure" then she looked at me & said "you need to go to your apps to get my game!" She was cute (she looked frustrated) but she downloaded her game! Amazing

It IS amazing! These things are second nature to children because they're learning at an early age. When they're little, it's so cute that they know all the terminology and exactly what to do! :-)

Honored Contributor

Something else came to mind as I reread this post since much negative remarks re: GD. My son is a Apple lead genius who deals with a lot of people/problems & personalities. I would "sometimes" text him re: my apple issue. One time he texted me back: "sorry I e worked all day & my job is done." I was stunned & again I texted him, "same info" his next reply was "Google is a wonderful tool to get started on your issue". If u like I will call you on my way home to see how you made out! Really I said to myself being rejected I'm going to do that to teach him a lesson but it taught me a quick way to get what I need!!! We were out for his bday dinner and he looked at my phone. Gave a few pointers and advices to check it out on Google! Omg he's a brat......not really just being him!!! Ps he won't even let me use his discount boo hoo!
Trusted Contributor

Homedecor1, I don't really have a problem with your son doing this (and I'm sorry if you disagree). So often we become TOO dependent on others to solve our problems for us and we don't learn anything.

My BIL is a computer guru; that's his job and he does it well. If I really have a problem, I know that I can call him and he'll help me. But you know, I hesitate to call unless it's a bad problem. I will do everything I can to find out what's wrong myself before calling. Because he does do this all day long and I know the kinds of people he has to deal with sometimes. And I know that the last thing he wants to do after a busy day at work is deal with yet another computer problem.

I have found a lot of information from Google. And while my BIL did show me how to work on my wireless router and how to deal with it, I know that it's my responsibility to continue with it now. When we got our new laptop (and a few weeks ago, we bought a wireless printer), I was able to get the laptop the way I wanted it and connect it all to the router myself without having to call my BIL. I have both desktops and the laptop all connected to each other and each computer can print from either printer. It's all networked together. And to be honest, I was a little proud of myself. (So was he when he called to see how I was doing with it all. When I said, "I got it!" he thought that was grand.)

OTOH, one of my GFs knows nothing about computers....and she intends to keep it that way. When she has to install software or when something happens, she calls me. I've told her how to update Windows, how to update for her virus protection, etc. I've written it all down for her in steps. She still doesn't get it....and I think it's because she doesn't want to "get it". It's so much easier (for her) to call me and have me do it for her. And I find that frustrating.

And I didn't find the comment from the OP's grand-daughter to be obnoxious at all.

Honored Contributor

While I do think the kid was rude (I guess that's more the norm these days), I would agree that sometimes people are not willing to learn.

I've tried to show people things to help them with a problem and, in the course of determining if the person was even paying attention to what I was explaining, I'd just get the 'just fix it' attitude.

Well, that makes no sense to me at all. If I have a problem with a device and somebody is helping me with it the FIRST thing I want to do is learn about it. If possible, I want to learn what caused it, how to avoid it, and what to do if it happens again. But I guess some people are not interested in learning and just want somebody to fix it and then they keep causing problems because they are not learning how to properly maintain and use the electronics.

BTW, I'm not referring to anybody specific (here). Just saying - based on my own personal experience and wondering if something like that could be the cause of the exasperation.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

While I do think the kid was rude (I guess that's more the norm these days), I would agree that sometimes people are not willing to learn.

I've tried to show people things to help them with a problem and, in the course of determining if the person was even paying attention to what I was explaining, I'd just get the 'just fix it' attitude.

Well, that makes no sense to me at all. If I have a problem with a device and somebody is helping me with it the FIRST thing I want to do is learn about it. If possible, I want to learn what caused it, how to avoid it, and what to do if it happens again. But I guess some people are not interested in learning and just want somebody to fix it and then they keep causing problems because they are not learning how to properly maintain and use the electronics.

BTW, I'm not referring to anybody specific (here). Just saying - based on my own personal experience and wondering if something like that could be the cause of the exasperation.

Good points.

Valued Contributor

On 2/23/2015 brii said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol}She's denying it.

What did you expect, brii? I see the thread in the home forum is gone asking where she was; it was going along ok and I went out to run some errands. When I came back, it was gone. Not surprised.

I read about your accident and hope you're feeling better real soon.

Waving hi to MJ 12!

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.glare}Well, anyone under the age of 21 is not fully cooked in the brain yet. Just saying.