{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Hi Brii {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hi, MJ.

Trusted Contributor

Re: This was my laugh for the day today

On 2/22/2015 Scooby Doo said:
On 2/22/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 2/22/2015 GoodStuff said:

I am in my 60's and would have LOL'd at the child's perceptive question. I think a lot of older people do have a hard time with electronic gadgets......while using them seems to come very easily and naturally to the young. Who can blame the child for noticing and asking? And I don't see anything disrespectful about referring to the grandmother as "old people"! You have to be really sour and stiff to miss the humor in aging, or to think no one notices. The child didn't use some expletive or "insult" the grandmother. She simply asked why older people buy devices they don't seem to be able to learn to use. A good question, I'd say.

Agreed!

I don't think this child said anything close to "insulting".

So, children who ask questions are "spoiled" and "brats"?

Don't think so.

This child was merely asking a simple question.

To some here, she should be tarred and feathered for that.

How dare she ask a question!

No, this child is no "brat".

She is merely inquisitive.

She's petulant, not inquisitive.

Since we didn't see the granddaughter's facial expression or hear her inflection, it really isn't possible to know her mood or intent, and we're all making assumptions. I tend to be direct and sometimes a bit tart, and I enjoy humor........ so that's what I'm imagining in this interaction. I don't see tart humor between generations as necessarily "disrespectful". I have great grown kids, and we give each other the business all the time. We enjoy each other and love to laugh. And while we love and respect each other, we also love to poke fun at each other's quirks and inconsistencies.......which are numerous.

Frequent Contributor

My nephew is 17. For the last 2 years his high school started a program for EVERYONE who needs help with their gadgets. There are about 20 kids. They have the class for 2 hours twice a month in the morning and anyone can go. They will teach you whatever you need to know. They do one on one and groups. I asked him if he liked it. He said he LOVES it. Its no ones fault they need help and some younger people need it too. Today electronics come with little or no instructions. He will work with them on their phones, GPS and computers. They make you do it, they don't just show you. He said he finds it VERY rewarding. He loves when they finally understand. As his teacher said, its a way to give back to the community.

Honored Contributor

As someone married to and the daughter of people that are computer illiterate it can get grating. I think I might have finally gotten my husband to use google. My mom just yells at her husband and blames him because she can't be bothered to back up her own files. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least took the time to try and educate themselves so they could explain their problem.
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Hello, seniorcitizen and welcome. Smile

This isn't to be mean to you, but the next time the granddaughter is having trouble with a homework problem and isn't getting right it fast enough, someone might want to say to her, "why do you young people even bother going to school for anything? You're just going to get pregnant and drop out anyway."

After the granddaughter runs away crying and screaming about how "mean and unfair" her family is to her, remind of the moment she was impatient to her grandmother for not getting something right within the first 5 seconds. She'll then know how awful her grandmother felt.

I'm sure she loves her grandmother very much and she's still learning, but she does need to learn to be patient with others. Hardly anyone learns anything overnight and she's no exception.

Sorry if that sounds mean, but this can simply be a lesson for the granddaughter, that's all.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

I can definitely see the humor in this. My mother, who is in her 60's, has trouble with technology and I am the first one to tell her "Technology is no place for wimps." And her response is always "I know that's right." When we go to visit, she gets help from my son and daughter who are 7 and 12.

Respected Contributor

I actually can see where the granddaughter could get frustrated and blurted out how she felt. I'm almost 60 and my mom is almost 80. I'm fairly tech savvy and own a Samsung NOte 3. She had a dumb cell phone she used all the time but she wanted one where the pictures were bigger (like mine) and you could zoom in to see better. So she bought a smartphone. I told her I'd set it up and teach her how to use it. I got so frustrated with her. I would show her the same thing over and over. She just couldn't learn how to use it. After a year she gave up and went back to her dumb phone. Of course, being and adult I tried to hide my frustrations with her and didn't ask her why she bought it! LOL

She couldn't learn simple things. Once a week she would call me and say all her icons were gone. Everything was off the phone. They got erased. She was downright panicky. I would go over to her house and she just had it on a different home screen. She had 5 homescreens. It was that type of thing constantly over and over.

If my GD would have talked to me that way, I would have laughed it off on the outside, but I would have been hurt on the inside.