Respected Contributor

Tablet question for a senior

I need to buy a tablet for my mother, who is in her mid 70's and NOT tech savvy.

She will use it for web surfing and MAYBE email.

I am between a Samsung 10 inch and a Amazon Fire 10 inch.

I am familiar with Samsungs but not FIre's.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Tablet question for a senior

Frequent Contributor

I have an apple and fire, I recommend the fire, it is so light weight, easy to use

Esteemed Contributor

Kindle Fires are on sale now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an iPhone 6+ as well as an i-Pad and have always recommended them because of how intuitive they are...  right from the beginning (an iPhone 3) if had a problem the logical aspects of it solved it in no time.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 73 and love, love, love my Fire 10 (and it's $50 off today).  It is very easy to use.  Be sure and get a case and protective film for screen (and maybe a protection policy).

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I need to buy a tablet for my mother, who is in her mid 70's and NOT tech savvy.

She will use it for web surfing and MAYBE email.

I am between a Samsung 10 inch and a Amazon Fire 10 inch.

I am familiar with Samsungs but not FIre's.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

@Abrowneyegirl I hope your mother enjoys whichever tablet you go with. My mother is elderly, she just doesn’t do well with any electronic gadgets. She has a Kindle Paperwhite that I help her with and she also has an old Amazon Kindle Fire that I inherited. I don’t have any experience with a Samsung tablet but I do own 3 Kindles. I would get the Kindle Fire, it’s pretty easy to use. Since you don’t know how well she’ll do with it, I wouldn’t buy the most expensive one, maybe more in the middle range.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  The Amazon Kindle Fire 10 is on sale right now for $99 for black Friday.  Regular price is $149.  It is a super nice tablet, long battery life, fast, etc.  I just ordered one. 

Respected Contributor

Kindle is mainly  for books,  i am not thrilled with the web browser.  I think you are better off with android, more free apps and probably easier to show her how to use it.  a good inexpensive android  tablet I love is asus

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I have an iPhone 6+ as well as an i-Pad and have always recommended them because of how intuitive they are...  right from the beginning (an iPhone 3) if had a problem the logical aspects of it solved it in no time.  Woman Happy

ipads are great but an elderly woman not tech savy will  strugle  with it. I am very tech savy and it took me eons to figure out the settings.  I still cant reember how to read my notifications lol  plus you need a cedit card on file or apple never lets you update your apps