Honored Contributor

Re: Tablet question for a senior

I have both an Amazon Fire and Samsung S2 tablet.  I much prefer the Samsung for its ease of use with standard Android and apps from the Playstore.  I also have an iPad and prefer the Samsung over it.

If an elderly user has arthritis, this device makes a great add-on to a tablet gift or for someone who already has one.  I can use my pads for hours with no pain or strain.  It's made by Lapworks and is available on Amazon.  I have them on all my pads.

20161219_230337.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My aunt is in her 70s and was not tech savvy at all.  One day she decided she wanted an iPad Mini.  She did very well with it and learned a lot about it (I taught her).  Then she bought a regular size iPad.  Some more time passed and she decided she wanted an iPhone.  I've told her several times how proud I am of her and her learning how to use iDevices. 

I feel Apple's products are user-friendly, however, Apple was not on your list, so I will say a Kindle Fire would be nice.  If your mom has questions she can always give Amazon a call for some help.  If she likes library books she can check them out of her local digital library, or you can check them out and send them to her device.  There are some great deals on electronics this weekend for Black Friday.  I hope your mom loves whatever you decide to buy. Heart  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

I would go with a fire 7 .. lighter then the 8inch or 10inch and a easy tablet to use for a older person.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I would go with a fire 7 .. lighter then the 8inch or 10inch and a easy tablet to use for a older person.

Iam confused by this,you said in another thread on here that you do not like it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have both an Amazon Fire and Samsung S2 tablet.  I much prefer the Samsung for its ease of use with standard Android and apps from the Playstore.  I also have an iPad and prefer the Samsung over it.

If an elderly user has arthritis, this device makes a great add-on to a tablet gift or for someone who already has one.  I can use my pads for hours with no pain or strain.  It's made by Lapworks and is available on Amazon.  I have them on all my pads.

20161219_230337.png

This kind of holder is fine for people who can completely open their hand and have it flat. For me, however, it won't be of any use because my hands are in a permanent fist position and I cannot open my hand and have it flat against anything. I have to lay a device down to use it and holding a tablet or cell in one hand  is simply impossible. 

Respected Contributor

I ordered the Fire.  Fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone!!

Super Contributor

I bought a Samsung tablet  with wifi from QVC 2 years ago. I purchased it after my iPad was stolen while I was at a teacher conference. I have been very happy with it. It also has a stylus. The only thing is that it didn't come with a case and keyboard. I have not found a case with keyboard that fits the tablet well so I don't use a case unless traveling. 

Honored Contributor

go with an android device (preferably a samsung.)

my mom is 77 and that is what we got for her.

i dont think that apple is that user friendly for those who have problems using electronic devices. even my kids have more problems with their apple products than i do with my samsung and hp products.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl

If she is going to be using games or listen to music from the Google Playstore, the Amazon Fire does not support the Playstore........my friend took her Fire tablet back to the store and got one that was Playstore compatible............

There is a round about way a computer Geek can add it but I would get a tablet thats already compatible with the Playstore

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Iam confused by this,you said in another thread on here that you do not like it.

Nothing to be confused about and I was speaking to the Prime membership as I do not like any membership buy ins. The tablet is alright for what it is a inexpensive tablet.