Honored Contributor

Re: TSV-HP 17" Touch Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD with Optane & Office 365

Optane is Intel's way to try and get SSD speed from a boring old plain hard drive. The concept is pretty neat. Most people just use a few programs on their computer on a regular basis so the Optane module will learn what you use the most and have it cued up and ready for you almost instantly. The Optane module will keep the most commonly used stuff in it's solid state memory and ready to go even after the computer has been turned off. The Optane modules come in 16 or 32 gb sizes so they don't store a ton of stuff, but they can store the stuff you use most frequently and as your use pattern changes they can change to match it. Nothing's much better than a solid state drive, but they're kind of pricy for the bigger ones. Optane lets users keep using a big, old fashioned (cheaper) hard drive for most of their storage, but get SSD like speed from the stuff they use the most. They used to have Smart Response Technology (SRT) that largely did the same thing using a separate SSD, but now they're calling it Optane and building in the storage onto the module.

Should it matter to you if a computer has Optane or not? It depends. If you have a solid state drive (SSD) on your computer and you load your most commonly used stuff on the SSD, then Optane does nothing for you. If you only have an old fashioned hard drive and every second counts, then it may be better for you.

Truthfully though, modern hard drives are already pretty fast. You'd see a difference in a side by side test, but if you launch a program, take a sip of coffee/soda then look back at the computer, your program likely is ready to go with or without Optane. It might take a ten to twenty second program load and reduce it to one second, but for most people those seconds don't matter all that much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Run as fast as you can away from that device....Optane is the worse the reviews are terrible about that.Smiley Indifferent

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a retired Software developer after 38 years in the business.     Read the reviews with Google. Optane does not compensate for insufficient RAM.   I wouldn't buy a laptop with less than 16 GB RAM and the HP laptops don't allow you to add more.  My two cents.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Run as fast as you can away from that device....Optane is the worse the reviews are terrible about that.Smiley Indifferent

This is just a cache built into a processor that speeds up.frequently used programs. Have you used a computer with a cache or optane. This tech has been around for a while. It was called a hybrid drive, SSD cache, or a boot drive. The final step.would be an SSD. How many of these devices have you used?

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

This is just a cache built into a processor that speeds up.frequently used programs. Have you used a computer with a cache or optane. This tech has been around for a while. It was called a hybrid drive, SSD cache, or a boot drive. The final step.would be an SSD. How many of these devices have you used?

Since your asking quite a few. And the reviews on these things are very bad. People that have had them are complaining about them. 

New Contributor

In a weaker moment I purchased this item. If it's not enough that I thought that I was doing the convenient thing, it's going to have taken close to a month to receive it from China. From the comments here I'm guessing that this laptop will work for me but taking a month to receive it is totally unacceptable.

New Contributor

In a weaker moment I purchased this item. If it's not enough that I thought that I was doing the convenient thing, it's going to have taken close to a month to receive it from China. From the comments here I'm guessing that this laptop will work for me but taking a month to receive it is totally unacceptable.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to all who ordered this device!