Respected Contributor

Re: THINK I NEED A ROUTER/MODEM BOOSTER, BUT

@tends2dogs

Just a suggestion, go to the Costco website, search computers then routers and very last one for $59.99 extends your coverage.

I learn from reading what the stuff is, reading the reviews and maybe that will help you.

Hope that helps...I'm sure Sam's, Best Buy etc has similar models for a router extender for full home capabilities.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I am not really sure .....  Let's start off by saying this is WAY out of my realm of knowledge. 

The reason I think this is what we need is we purchased the Blink TSV last week and we can't reach all the cameras.  Also, we aren't getting alerts all the time.

DH spoke with CS at Blink and they said our phone could be outdated (Tracfone) and/or the modem (?) wasn't strong enough. 

Any suggestions on what we might need to purchase to get these things working?  A new modem (don't you get that from the cable company?) or a new router?

Please help!!!

I recently bought a better router and it solved all of my connectvity problems. If distance from the router is the problem, a range extender plug in closer to the device may work better.  Buy your own router unless you get phone service from your internet provider.  

@glb613  May I ask why we can't buy a router if we get our phone service from our internet provider, because  we do - Charter.

You need a special type of modem/router if you are getting your phone service with your internet company.  I'm not talking about a landline like people have with AT&T.  I'm talking about voice over internet protocol type of phone service.  FYI, you don't need a compatible router with your internet provider.  You need to check and get a compatible modem if you are going to buy your own.  I've saved hundreds of dollars by not renting a modem or router from my internet provider. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I recently bought a better router and it solved all of my connectvity problems. If distance from the router is the problem, a range extender plug in closer to the device may work better.  Buy your own router unless you get phone service from your internet provider.  

Listen to her!  She knows what she's talking about.  I know a lot less than GLB, but this was my first thought, having dealt with quite a few routers and router issues over the years.

My house isn't a mansion, but it's fairly large and a decent router works exceptionally well.    I do also have my landline, internet, and cable tv together.  I can go down the street a little bit with the phone.   I have laptops, TVs, and Tivos in various parts of my house and none of them have connection problems without any kind of extender or booster.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut...I'd love you to come to my house and school us in all the technology as well as get us hooked up properly.

Years ago, when things we easier my husband was well versed in all things electronic, but things changed fast and he did not keep up.