Esteemed Contributor

THINK I NEED A ROUTER/MODEM BOOSTER, BUT

[ Edited ]

I am not really sure .....  Let's start off by saying this is WAY out of my realm of knowledge. 

The reason I think this is what we need is we purchased the Blink TSV last week and we can't reach all the cameras.  Also, we aren't getting alerts all the time.

DH spoke with CS at Blink and they said our phone could be outdated (Tracfone) and/or the modem (?) wasn't strong enough. 

Any suggestions on what we might need to purchase to get these things working?  A new modem (don't you get that from the cable company?) or a new router?

Please help!!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: THINK I NEED A ROUTER/MODEM BOOSTER, BUT

@tends2dogs I know less than you do about all of this.  However, I do have relatives who know everything about this stuff.

Anyway, I'm posting because I have 5 blinks and am expecting a few more soon.  Not because of the Blink but because I couldn't get my Wi-Fi to work very well at the other end of my house I had a booster put on.  Well, it's actually not just a booster but ALMOST an entirely new Wi-Fi so I could get it at the other end of my house.

Did it help, you're asking?  Well, somewhat...I get so frustrated.  I keep saying, "It's not like I live in a bonker or a castle (meaning big).  What the hay?  What's the problem?

The blink I have in the downstairs rec room at the farthest end of the house is constantly 'going off line'.  It drives me crazy!  

I've had Verizon (my company I use) out here so many times it's crazy!  Are you ready for this?  I keep hearing it's because I am totally surrounded by large trees.  Well, I was told fios (which I have) is underground and if I got the booster (which isn't cheap) would solve my problem.  

Now ask me if it did?  Well, not really!  Oh!  Did I mention I live on top of a very large hill, just my house, so no competition there!

I'll be calling them first thing (AGAIN) Monday because (as usual) the thing is off line!  So frustrating.

One guy said it was because the "waves" have to go through my kitchen (i.e. microwave, etc).  Yes!  And I can sell you a bridge if you need one!  The rec room is on the opposite side of the house!

Good luck.  I'm sure a booster solves some problems for people but it just made a little difference for me.

I live around people who don't have very many Wi-Fi things in their house, so I know it's not a matter of competition (whatever).

My late husband owned a good size computer business and I learned a few things, so I'm not stupid and understand a few things about computers.

It's just very frustrating and getting very expensive.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I am not really sure .....  Let's start off by saying this is WAY out of my realm of knowledge. 

The reason I think this is what we need is we purchased the Blink TSV last week and we can't reach all the cameras.  Also, we aren't getting alerts all the time.

DH spoke with CS at Blink and they said our phone could be outdated (Tracfone) and/or the modem (?) wasn't strong enough. 

Any suggestions on what we might need to purchase to get these things working?  A new modem (don't you get that from the cable company?) or a new router?

Please help!!!

I recently bought a better router and it solved all of my connectvity problems. If distance from the router is the problem, a range extender plug in closer to the device may work better.  Buy your own router unless you get phone service from your internet provider.  

Esteemed Contributor

The Geeks at Best Buy are really helpful if you are purchasing the new router or moderm from them.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Please help!!!

I recently bought a better router and it solved all of my connectvity problems. If distance from the router is the problem, a range extender plug in closer to the device may work better.  Buy your own router unless you get phone service from your internet provider.  

@glb613  May I ask why we can't buy a router if we get our phone service from our internet provider, because  we do - Charter.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Our home is big and spread out, too.  We are also in a woods.  HA!  The cameras furthest from the router/modem/Blink base were the ones that didn't pick up a signal and therefore didn't perform.  We are trying to work out the bugs (if possible) before the 30 days are up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @hopi, because we aren't Geeks LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks, @hopi, because we aren't Geeks LOL.

Woman LOL

Best Buy actually has  "Geek Squad" trademark counter or service center, I did not come up with that name.

Honored Contributor

I don't know any of your ages.  Mine is 71.  I've never had any kind of computer classes.

What I know is what I've 'picked up' here and there (and family and friends who are patient and willing to help and teach).

I think all of us 'Boomers' do really well with all of these high tech (let's call them toys).  

That's the way I roll...Ha! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs

A newer router or modem/router, if needed for your service provider, would be much better. We have our DSL through Centurylink along with our landline. With them I can either lease a newer(AC modem/router),buy 1 from them, or purchase my own elsewhere. If bought, the modem/router has to be compatible with Centurylink service, or it probably will not work.

Been into electronics since the 1950's so pretty familiar with much of it. We too live in a rural type area, and since our home is still wired with copper telephone wire(which I made for 30 years), and not Fiber Optic Cable, we are limited on our broadband speed.

Right now we have 10mbps, which is far slower than most, but on August 6th, we can and will have 20mbps speed. At that time I plan on buying a new Dual Band, AC capable Modem/Router that is compatible with our CenturyLink Service. It should provide stronger and faster wifi throughout our pretty good sized home.

Going to wait to make sure the speed is increased to 20mbps, which is still slow in comparison to what is on the market, but because of our outdated home wiring, it is the fastest we can get now. Between doubling the speed, and a new modem/router, I am hoping for improved wifi throughout our home. 

Don't use any security(?) cameras, but I always have my "peace maker" within my reach. We live on a cul-de-sac where there is only 1 narrow road in and out. Prospective criminals would be foolish to try this area, as most of our neighbors are home much of the time, and are on no time schedule they could monitor. Plus, we all have our own method of protecting our property and safety.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)