Respected Contributor

Setting up Comcast Modem and DVR box

I quit Dish because they are taking away my local sports( Sacramento Kings fan and SF Giants fan). I contracted with Comcast again, I have had Dish for 6 years. I picked up the equipment from Comcast today and will install it myself tomorrow. I watched a Youtube video today and will check out Comcast's tomorrow. I am trying to keep a positive attitude. Anybody have any tips?

Honored Contributor

Re: Setting up Comcast Modem and DVR box

[ Edited ]

Call Comcast for a techie to help walk you through it on the phone. 

Someone will stay with you making sure everything works.  No charge. 

For $40, might be a little higher now, a techie will go to your house to set it up for you.  

Honored Contributor

@chessylady - If you call Comcast they will walk you through it. That is what I did. They are very helpful. Just call the number and select the option for technical support. Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chessylady 

I have had Dish Network for close to 18 years. Not sure what you mean when you say "taking away my local sports".  I have no idea what sport you might be talking about, but not sure explains what you are saying, so I will "get it".

Are you talking Major League Games or Sports News?  Before the pandemic many cities that had Major League Sports, had blackouts. Why? I assume they prefer their fans be at the venues where the team plays. Teams get more supports from fans "at the games" than those viewing on their TV sets.

Where we live there are no Major League Pro Teams. Our biggest draw is the Nebraska Cornhuskers Football. I have the "Sports Package" offered by Dish. It includes all Fox Sports/NBC Sports and NHL Sports. Worth every penny to me because they pick up the 2 Major Sports I follow that Main Networks do not.

My suggestion on installation is what others have said. Call the Company Tech and have them walk you step by step through the install. Best way for those in doubt of how to set up their systems when it's available, especially for free.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My tip - have a Comcast tech come to the house and do it.  I'm shocked they charge for that now.

Comcast is not carrying the ACC network so we got a Firestick and now subscribe to HULU Live for the ACC games that aren't on the other channels/networks.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut Dish is eliminating the sports channels I watch my favorite teams on. It is called Sports Bay Area. Like HBO,they are not coming back. Charlie Ergen, Dish CEO, has stated that eliminating these regional sports channels are part of his business plan. He feels they are too expensive and that the majority of subscribers don't care about sports. I was with Dish for six years but I am unable to find what I like to watch with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady

You are a new customer and the company should send a tech to check your service and do an install.

I can set up a cable modem and a router fine. I am not going to install a cable box. 

A new DVR box is a cloud based box. You can probably find directions on the company site. 

You may need  cable longer than 6 ft or need 

a repair outside. 

Super Contributor

by now you may already have your new equipment set up, but in case not:

this is extremely easy. my new modem and remote just arrived. it took longer to move furniture out of the way to get to the outlet than anything else.

Comcast sent a email re: delivery via UPS. they texted an online assistant should I have any questions. I did look at the YouTube video from the Comcast app, but its not really necessary as everyting is so automatic. 

download the xfinity app. upper left corner has a tab to activate the equipment.  

jot down the numbers on the bottom as you will need to enter one of them (the first one) on the app on your smartphone. wait. they will 'find' the modem. the set up begins automatically. they even gave me the option of keeping current name/password so I didn't need to redo that. or you can change if you choose. 

easy: get app on smartphone, open box, plug in provided electric power cord and cable. follow app directions. takes about 10 minutes. it then 'found' my other wi-fi things (Roku, smart tv) the box included an ethernet cord, return label for my old equipment. 

the remote directions also easy. 

good luck!

Respected Contributor

I ended up getting a comcast technician on the phone. The modem/wifi install was easy. The cable box was harder. The technician believes that my outdoor cabling may be faulty. I have a home appointment with a Comcast technician tomorrow afternoon which will be no change. He will make sure I am getting a picture on my TV before he leaves. I am able to stream Netflix, HBO Max and Disney on my TV and Ipad right now so I am fine. I watched some of my DVR programs last night knowing they would be going away today.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I ended up getting a comcast technician on the phone. The modem/wifi install was easy. The cable box was harder. The technician believes that my outdoor cabling may be faulty. I have a home appointment with a Comcast technician tomorrow afternoon which will be no change. He will make sure I am getting a picture on my TV before he leaves. I am able to stream Netflix, HBO Max and Disney on my TV and Ipad right now so I am fine. I watched some of my DVR programs last night knowing they would be going away today.

Over the years I've had problems with squirrels chewing on or through cables for both my phone and cable services.  Have the tech check for damaged insulation.