Honored Contributor

Re: Sandisk USB Flash Drive Problems

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm going to go back to Best Buy to see if they can help me. Maybe I got a faulty USB flash drive. 

@Jordan2

Unless there is something wrong with all the USB Ports on you computer, or some other type of problem with it, I sure do not know what it might be. I have used many thumb/flash USB drives on my Windows 7 desktop, and never had an issue.

I will say that with a USB External Hard Drive I bought and connected, I did have an issue. Like you, I used several USB ports, and still had a problem. I ended up formatting the 2tb drive, and installed it manually, and got it working. 

Have the exact same size and brand hooked up to my Dish Network DVR, and it installed on there without a hitch at any point. It has disappeared from my "drive choices" on my Dish Network Hardware, but I have always been able to find a way to get it recognized by the Dish Network Hopper 3.

As I said in 1 of my other posts here, things don't always go smoothly for me when it comes to computers, or any of my electronic devices. Fortunately, I have been around electronic gizmos, since the early 1950's, and that certainly helps.

I would imagine Best Buy would probably try it in one of their computers to see if it is the Sandisc being faulty. I have never bought anything from them so haven't a clue how they handle product returns. Let me know how goes.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I went to Best Buy today. I told the salesman about the problem I was having. He put the USB flash drive in a computer in the store and it worked. I told him my computer was like 7 years old (he looked at me like I had 2 heads) and said it could be that the 3.0 wasn't working in my old laptop. He then sold me one that was 2.0/3.0 ( which was less money) and I returned the other one. This one isn't as fancy as the one I returned. Anyway I plugged it in and it downloaded to my computer. I thought a menu would pop up with directions of what to do, but it didn't. Now a lot of you might think it's no big deal, but I actually figured it out and download what I wanted to the flash drive. I was wondering if you can use the flash drive on another computer or is it registered to the one I used it on?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@hckynut, I went to Best Buy today. I told the salesman about the problem I was having. He put the USB flash drive in a computer in the store and it worked. I told him my computer was like 7 years old (he looked at me like I had 2 heads) and said it could be that the 3.0 wasn't working in my old laptop. He then sold me one that was 2.0/3.0 ( which was less money) and I returned the other one. This one isn't as fancy as the one I returned. Anyway I plugged it in and it downloaded to my computer. I thought a menu would pop up with directions of what to do, but it didn't. Now a lot of you might think it's no big deal, but I actually figured it out and download what I wanted to the flash drive. I was wondering if you can use the flash drive on another computer or is it registered to the one I used it on?

Yes, you can use it another computer.  A menu does not pop up.  It shows as an E drive on your computer.  You click and drag the things you want to save from your old computer.  Glad you were able to work it out.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

Glad you got the answer. Every USB device I have used has been backwards compatible. A 2.0 would still work on a 1.0, but at the 1.0 download speed, not the faster 2.0. My 2 external hard drives(USB 3.0) work fine on my Windows 7 desktop computer. 

Most newer faster devices usually are backwards compatible or they wouldn't be much good to those with systems may not be old, just not new enough to use the later advanced better and faster technology. Very odd to me, but I guess maybe some companies choose that option. Seems to me the retailers would have lots of returns and have to do a lot of explaining to those not understanding these things.

All the 3.0 USB capable devices I have, and have seen, have a different looking USB connector end. Where the older versions are white, they are blue. Not sure the color has anything to do with anything, just there so one will know it is USB capable. They are also specific 3.0 USB cables available that I understand make sure the information transferred to them is the true 3.0 speed.

Do you know if the one you returned had the blue on the inside of connector, in lieu of the usual white? Here's some added info about adding any type of external drive(thumb/flash/SD, or any mini of them). They will all show up in the "Computer/My Computer" list of drives when you open this feature on your computer. Then you "drag and drop", or Copy/Paste to the other listed drives. Works both directions, adding to computer or adding to the drive from the computer or other Internal or external devices(under any letter listed drive. 

Thanks for letting me know what caused your problem and the solution.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I don't know if it had the blue on the inside. The one I returned had an LED blue light that blinked. It was a more expensive one than the one I kept, but it didn't work, at least the cheaper one worked.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, so now that I downloaded some files to my USB Flash Drive can I transfer the files to an iPad or Kindle Fire HD? Also how does one do this? Also if you copy files to another device do the files still remain on the flash drive ( I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I know I can get answers here)?

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Okay, so now that I downloaded some files to my USB Flash Drive can I transfer the files to an iPad or Kindle Fire HD? Also how does one do this? Also if you copy files to another device do the files still remain on the flash drive ( I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I know I can get answers here)?

I have an iPad 3 and when I want to add or remove files, I've always used iTunes to synch.  The exception is adding photos using a SD card and an adapter for my iPad.