Honored Contributor

Sandisk USB Flash Drive Problems

I'm not tech savvy, so bear with me! I bought a flash drive so I could back up files from my computer. Well I put the flash drive in (it has an LED light that was blinking) and it seemed like it was downloading. I then get a message of an error( something about software and driver), it failed. Now when I put in the flash drive nothing comes up on the screen. What do I do now? Do I reboot my computer, is that even a good idea? I could really use some advice. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sandisk USB Flash Drive Problems

@Jordan2

I am not sure of your problem. Have you already transferred the files you wanted to the thumb/ flash drive?  Not sure if you know there are files on the Sandisk, or you are wanting to move them from your computer hard drive to the Sandisk. I need more info before I can attempt to help you.

Did you find the USB Sandisk drive in "Computer or My Computer", which shows you all the drives connected to your computer?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jordan2

I am not sure of your problem. Have you already transferred the files you wanted to the thumb/ flash drive?  Not sure if you know there are files on the Sandisk, or you are wanting to move them from your computer hard drive to the Sandisk. I need more info before I can attempt to help you.

Did you find the USB Sandisk drive in "Computer or My Computer", which shows you all the drives connected to your computer?

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, no it's not listed. It was an epic failure!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

Your computer is not recognizing the USB drive? If not, have you tried another USB Input?  It never hurts to reboot your computer. Do it without the Flash Drive connected and put it in after it's rebooted. If computer doesn't recognize it, reboot with it still in the USB Input.

Is this a new Sandisc? Some I have used in the past suggested "formatting" it first, I have no idea why if the thing has never had files on it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jordan2

Your computer is not recognizing the USB drive? If not, have you tried another USB Input?  It never hurts to reboot your computer. Do it without the Flash Drive connected and put it in after it's rebooted. If computer doesn't recognize it, reboot with it still in the USB Input.

Is this a new Sandisc? Some I have used in the past suggested "formatting" it first, I have no idea why if the thing has never had files on it.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, I just bought it, it's brand new. I did try putting it in another USB port. Nothing ever works for me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2

Did you try a hard restart, shut the computer completely off, then turn it on?  I have no other answers if the above doesn't work. May just be a bad flash drive, if so return it, or maybe try it in another computer/friend/sibling?

I don't consider myself one loaded with good luck either. Sorry, maybe @gardenman or @glb613 has an idea. Sorry!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jordan2

Did you try a hard restart, shut the computer completely off, then turn it on?  I have no other answers if the above doesn't work. May just be a bad flash drive, if so return it, or maybe try it in another computer/friend/sibling?

I don't consider myself one loaded with good luck either. Sorry, maybe @gardenman or @glb613 has an idea. Sorry!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, thanks for trying to help me. I did turn off the computer and turn it back on, and nothing. I'm going to try doing a reboot, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm not tech savvy, so bear with me! I bought a flash drive so I could back up files from my computer. Well I put the flash drive in (it has an LED light that was blinking) and it seemed like it was downloading. I then get a message of an error( something about software and driver), it failed. Now when I put in the flash drive nothing comes up on the screen. What do I do now? Do I reboot my computer, is that even a good idea? I could really use some advice. 

What operating system are you running?  Do you have another computer to test the flash drive?  Is it listed under "Computer"? 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

What operating system are you running?  Do you have another computer to test the flash drive?  Is it listed under "Computer"? 

@glb613, I have Windows 7, I don't have another computer to try it out on, and it doesn't show up listed under computer. I'm off to try a reboot. 

Honored Contributor

I'm going to go back to Best Buy to see if they can help me. Maybe I got a faulty USB flash drive.