Honored Contributor

Re: Router question

[ Edited ]

My pc is also hardwired to my router. Although my pc does not require a wired connection to receive wifi, that is what I prefer. My router is also conveniently located just next to my pc so there isn't any issues with the (ethernet) wire going to the pc... it's such a short distance between those two devices.  @Nuttmeg 

Another thing about routers...

...it's a good idea to 'reset' them as much as possible. By this I mean disconnecting their power cord intermittently so as to allow for any unnecessary accumulated data to be cleared out of the router itself. Sometimes this useless data can be used by outside (hackers) to gain access into your router.  Resetting the router will also allow for router updates to go into place and also improve router function, such as improved connection speed.

Trusted Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

How did you manage the cord when setting this up for your parents?  Wouldn't you have a super long cord running from one room to another then or did you run the cord under the house or something?

@itsmetoo 

The router we used was already built to work as either a router or an extender, so I was able to connect the router to the wifi network and did not need to use an ethernet cable. I told my friend about it and she did have to use a very long ethernet cable (The kind you find in offices) and ran the cable along her baseboards and stapled into place. It wasn't super attractive, but it did work. If you want to get very fancy, you can drill holes in walls, but she opted not to do that. 

If you want a more elegant solution and want to spend the money, you can look into mesh networks for your house. They're not super expensive and are easier to manage than routers connected by super long ethernet cables.

@Alison Wonderland 

Thank you for the information. I do already have a mesh network and love it. But I've read about doing things like you talked about in the past but couldn't imagine a long cord running from room to room.  I thought I might be something I was missing!  Thanks for the explanation!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

How did you manage the cord when setting this up for your parents?  Wouldn't you have a super long cord running from one room to another then or did you run the cord under the house or something?

There's only one cable coming into your house which feeds the wifi data to your router/modem. From there the signal is wireless...no cords, cables or wires needed. If the signal gets weak because it has to travel a distance inside the house then a separate wifi signal booster device might me needed...buy those at a store which sells wifi gear. @itsmetoo 

@SilleeMee 

Thank you for your reply @SilleeMee , I am aware of that and already have a mesh system.  I was just curious if in a case like Alison Wonderland was talking about if people ran the cords from room to room or under the house or what.