Super Contributor

Thank you so much for all the replies.  I have learned alot.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Dog   They have little square antennas that you can place in your window that might work, depending on where you live.

Where I live, they don't work because of the mountain range, but for my sister who lives more in the "city", she gets local stations of an antenna she purchased locally for about $20.  I think she might have gotten it at Walmart or Best Buy.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Frequent Contributor

I, boutht a mohu leaf antenna, a fire stick and roku as well, i don't pay for cable, but i do pay for my internet, which is now 48.00 monthly for my computer, so now i can stream, and i get 88 chanels, and major channels for free. But you must have hdmi slots on side or in back of your tv. Hulu sign up right now is 1.99 a month for twelve months, great deal. I, would never change the way my son and i get our programs, plus roku has endless content, and fire. My, friend just bought a little tower for her tv and stated, she was so happy to save and enjoy so much viewing. We, both bought from amazon, great service next day delivery, much happiness. Bless your journey into savings and fun.

Frequent Contributor

Great answers all.  I'll just add my two cents and experience. 

Just be aware any streaming service (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc), including Roku, you will need wi-fi service.  It all depends on what YOU want to watch and what your budget may be.  Roku offers both free and pay "apps" to choose from:  Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Sling, CBS, Pandora, YouTube, Disney+, etc.  I've found some of the free apps on Roku aren't very good, don't load well, and the movies/series lag.

Roku is usually a one-time investment; of one of their devices into the HDMI port on your television.  One of the newer models television works best (atleast no more than 10 old).  It has it's own remote control, is easily programmable to your television, and a snap to use once you get the hang of it.  The antenna you are interested in is a digital one; look for one with a range of 50 - 70 miles.  A few of the best have a cost of no more than $75.00 (look for sales now!).  Most are flat and usually attach to a wall or window close to your television.

I can only speak to Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu; as those are the streaming services I have experience with - after cutting the cord from cable.  All of them are monthly services, and you can cancel at any time without penalties.  Hulu is running a Black Friday special for new subscribers for $1.99/12 months for their Basic Plan. Again, it's all in what YOU want to watch and pay.  Do you watch live television all of the time? Do you DVR and watch later?  And you have to think about not only the news, sports, local programming, etc.  I have three young boys and a husband to consider.  We do not DVR and The Hubs will not do without live tv.  So Hulu+Live is what is in our house.  The price just went up to $64.98.  We also have Disney+.  We did have Netflix, but when Disney+ became available, we ditched Netflix.  

Something also to consider is the strength of the wi-fi router in your home. How many devices (tablets, laptops, phones, appliances, etc.) do you have feeding from your router?   That plays a very big part on how the signal streams to the Roku.

In the end, I probably pay the same amount for services now (Hulu+Live, Disney+) vs what I paid for cable.  But, the streaming services I'm receiving are far, far better than what cable ever offered.  Hubs is happy - I'm happy.  Woman Happy 

Super Contributor

Thanks, @SixTsChick .  

Anybody:

So if I decide to just do antenna TV, I will have to hook up the VCR again?

One indoor antenna per TV?

Can the flat antenna be on the wall behind an entertainment center?

One Roku set per TV?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Dog

DSLREPORTS.COM  is a site with a forum for each cable company. You can find information at cutting the cord. I would suggest a Google search.

I have Hulu. It is a good streaming service. You can view the programming in a browser on your computer until your set up your RoKu.

Respected Contributor

Each TV needs its own antenna. Where you place it depends on the reception of the channels you get. Behind an entertainment center may not be the best location and you may find on top of the entertainment center, or on or near a window provides the best reception. Just think back to the days of the rabbit ear antennas and how people would always turn and adjust those ears to find clear reception. It's a variation of the same thing.

Honored Contributor

You also have DVR options. Amazon has their Fire Recast that works with their Fire TV Sticks/Cube. I've got one and it's pretty neat for recording the over the air channels. Many standalone digital tuners also include a DVR function that you can hook up with a portable harddrive to record over the air programming. Other companies make all in one DVRs, some with monthly fees though. There's not much you can't do these days without cable. I have Sling for my cable channels. An outdoor antenna for over the air. Two Rokus. A Fire TV. And two Fire Sticks. I save a little bit over what I paid for cable, but there are no hidden fees. I know what I'm paying for and can add or subtract stuff as I want.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

Thanks, @SixTsChick .  

Anybody:

So if I decide to just do antenna TV, I will have to hook up the VCR again?

One indoor antenna per TV?

Can the flat antenna be on the wall behind an entertainment center?

One Roku set per TV?

Thanks.

@Lucky Dog   Yes, one indoor antenna per TV. 

Mohu Leaf instructions tell you where to place its antenna for best reception.  Mine says above and behind the TV, on a wall, preferably near a window.  You have to experiment a bit to see which location works best.  I'd guess that behind an entertainment center wouldn't be ideal. 

Yes, one Roku device per TV.  I have antenna and Roku on my main TV and just an antenna on the bedroom TV.

I think your VCR or DVD player would be independent of the method used to receive your television programming (antenna, streaming player like Roku, or cable) so you wouldn't have to change anything.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for this explanation.  My question, is why I want to watch so filled with ads?  They are everywhere.  It is so annoying.