Super Contributor

I have cable and want to get rid of it.  I am not tech, and was hoping to get some help here. I did read some old Roku threads here, but I need it explained from the beginning.

1. Do I need a special TV (I read there are Roku TVs.  What about them?  What about if I wanted to get a Roku kit)?

2. Can I get my local TV stations/news?

3. There will no longer be a cable DVR box.  So there is no more recording of shows?  You just look them up/nowhere to save them like in a DVR box?

4.  I am not interested in the extras like Netflix.  So there is no monthly bill?

I really do appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog I am not a techie either, so I can't offer you much help. I have a Roku stick that plugs into the side ( in a port) of my tv. I would think you would want to subscribe to a streaming service that offers you live tv such as HULU, there are others. Good luck, I hope others more knowledgeable than I can help you.

Valued Contributor

You can use Roku with any TV. In order to use Roku you must have internet access.  You will not get your local stations through Roku. My family uses Roku instead of cable, but we also signed up for YouTube TV through our Roku. It costs approximately $65. monthly & we're able to view our local stations through that. We're also able to record tv shows through YouTube TV.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to receive "free" tv anymore. If you want only your local stations, & nothing more, you can look into an antenna. They aren't difficult to hook up, but depending on how far away your stations are, you might have trouble connecting to them. I hope this helps. 

Super Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot ,

Amateur question: an antenna like one that goes on the roof of your house?  How else can I get local news/local stations?

Honored Contributor

You do not need a special TV; a Roku device can make any "dumb" TV smart..  A Roku TV is already smart - i.e. it doesn't need a separate Roku device to make it smart.

You generally cannot get local stations.  But if you have an HD antenna plugged into your TV, it's easy to switch back and forth between antenna stations and Roku stations.  I do it all the time.  If you don't want to do that, there are subscription services, like Sling TV, that include local channels, and can be streamed via Roku.

There is no DVR.  I'm sorry I don't know if shows can be saved using a Roku and a recording device.

There is no monthly bill with Roku.  However, if you add services like Netflix, Sling TV, etc. you will pay them a monthly fee.

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot ,

Amateur question: an antenna like one that goes on the roof of your house?  How else can I get local news/local stations?

No, not on the roof. Do a search for "indoor antennas." Not hard to hook up at all.  At least mine wasn't. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog   I have a Mohu Leaf antenna.  Look up their website.  The antenna plugs into the back of the TV.  On their website, you can enter your address and they'll tell you which channels you're likely to receive, depending on your distance from transmitters and the strength of the antenna.  They have different grades of antenna; more powerful are more expensive.

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr @Ladylaughsalot ,

Say I did not want cable at all.  I just hook up an indoor antenna to my TV and I get local stations?

Regular Contributor

I did find a way to get local tv on Roku, but it's only in limited areas. You can download a channel onto the Roku called Locast. First go to Locast's website to find out if it's available in your area. Last time I checked it's free, but they do keep asking for donations.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@ValuSkr @Ladylaughsalot ,

Say I did not want cable at all.  I just hook up an indoor antenna to my TV and I get local stations?

Yes, you can do that.  In fact, I'd recommend that before buying a Roku.  It may give you all the channels you want.  The proper antenna should deliver all your local stations including their digital subchannels.  When I switched from cable to antenna, I was surprised at all the channels I could get.