Trusted Contributor

I know very little about computers.  I use my work P.C. to shop online.  Smiley Happy

But thinking of getting an Apple laptop for myself, and sold on QVC because the Apple representative presenter says Apple cannot be infected with the nastys that routine attack Window PC's.  Is that true?

Question:

Have you ever been scammed and held hostage with ramsomeware?

How did you get it?

How did you get rid of it?

Is there a way to prevent ransomare?

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ransomeware?

[ Edited ]

@EatWell wrote:

I know very little about computers.  I use my work P.C. to shop online.  Smiley Happy

But thinking of getting an Apple laptop for myself, and sold on QVC because the Apple representative presenter says Apple cannot be infected with the nastys that routine attack Window PC's.  Is that true?

Question:

Have you ever been scammed and held hostage with ramsomeware?

How did you get it?

How did you get rid of it?

Is there a way to prevent ransomare?

Thank you.

Hi @EatWell ......  First of all, I have never been scammed and held hostage with ramsomware and have no idea how you get it.  But my IT person at work told me to never pay the ransom.  He said to call him and he would get rid of it.  As far as purchasing an Apple laptop... I  think that is a wonderful idea.   I love Apple products.  My DH and I each have a MacBook Pro and we each have an iPhone.  As far as I know Apple products do not get viruses.   That being said..... if I were you I would not purchase any Apple products from QVC.  They tend to  sell outdated models at ridiculous prices with cheap extras to justify those  prices.  Just mho.  

Honored Contributor

DH had that happen twice on the laptop with his picture on the camera. LOL!!! 

He had to download Malwarebytes to dvd & run Chameleon free malware tool removal. It would not let it run Malwarebytes program we have installed on the laptop.

I have no idea how he got it.  He looks at what I call smut which does not bother me. I figure thats where he got it. That's why I LOL!!! 

I don't think you can totally prevent it. 

Occasional Contributor

I had old XP computer and was in the process of moving stuff to a new pc when I was hit with ransomware.  I lost years of geanology cuz I never backed it up. I had 2 external hard drives so it was just being lazy or thinking it would never happen to me.  Plus I had tax returns and medical info on it.  Notified everyone I could.  So far I have not had info used 

Respected Contributor

We have multiple laptops and they all have security software installed, never had a virus on any.

We did have one tablet that had a problem, but it did not have a security software on it.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't click on any and every thing

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is at risk.  That is why I have two portable hard drives for my most precious files.. which are photograghs.  I back them up constantly even by disk (old fashioned me!)  

If I should get hit tomorrow I would be unhappy but I do back up what is on my computer.