Respected Contributor

Quick Question - LG Tracfone from August, 2016

[ Edited ]

Newbie here...I logged into my Tracfone account to check my balance and was wondering what SERVICE END DATE refers to.  Is that the date that the minutes expire that came with the phone when purchased?  My Service End Date is 9/17, so it's a year after my new phone was activated..

I'm a casual cell phone user, and this question was probably covered during the presentation, so forgive me if I'm asking a really dumb question, LOL. 

Thank you!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Question - LG Tracfone from August, 2016

I have the new Tracfone as well.   Your service end date is a reminder than you must add "minutes" prior to that date to keep your phone service & phone number active.

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Newbie here...I logged into my Tracfone account to check my balance and was wondering what SERVICE END DATE refers to.  Is that the date that the minutes expire that came with the phone when purchased?  My Service End Date is 9/17, so it's a year after my new phone was activated..

I'm a casual cell phone user, and this question was probably covered during the presentation, so forgive me if I'm asking a really dumb question, LOL. 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Topaz Gem

You buy minutes and 'air time'. The air time is what the 'service date' refers to. Think of it as paying to use their air wave signal.

You may still have minutes left when 9/17 rolls around, but you'll need to buy more 'air time', which usually includes more minutes.

Your remaining minutes will rollover, in addition to the minutes you buy to extend your air time, so you don't lose them.

Tracfone has several different plans on their website for different amounts of air time/minutes, but you can buy Tracfone cards for these at just about any grocery, drug or dept. store.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Thank you both, very much.  Now I understand.  I didn't get that the minutes wouldn't rollover unless I bought more before the end date.  I'll be sure to add them in plenty of time.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Thank you both, very much.  Now I understand.  I didn't get that the minutes wouldn't rollover unless I bought more before the end date.  I'll be sure to add them in plenty of time.

@Topaz Gem The date you activated your phone is the date you will need to renew airtime.  You can renew airtime anytime you want, you don't have to wait until the day before it expires.  If you bought a year of airtime today, 365 days would be added to your phone and your expiration would be 9/18.  You don't lose anything, it just adds it onto what you have.  Don't let the date expire though.  If you do, you will lose your minutes and possibly the phone number.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I have the new Tracfone as well.   Your service end date is a reminder than you must add "minutes" prior to that date to keep your phone service & phone number active.

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Thank you!

@Topaz Gem the reply from @KingstonsMom is absolutely correct. 

The other replys contain inaccuracies or are misleading.

ALL of the Trackfone literature states you should buy new airtime BEFORE your current airtime expires.

I always refill airtime about 3 weeks ahead in case I run into any unexpected problem. 

One of the biggest problems new and not-so-newTrackfone users have is they frequently don't bother getting familiar with both Trackfone, and their own phone's operation and features.

Please spend some time at the Trackfone website. 

They have a large section of frequently asked questions (FAQ) that is quite helpful!

I also encourage all Trackfone users to Google something called "Trackfone Reviewer" for articles, tips, reviews, and user Q&As.