Valued Contributor

Questions about internet speed with Spectrum

[ Edited ]

I just got Spectrum internet (100 mbps) yesterday but am only getting about 26 mbps download speed and about 11.6 upload. I called tech support, but he couldn't seem to come up with an explanation. I'm supposed to have both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi, but only the 2.4 network shows on my computers. Is this why I'm getting such low speeds? Also, when I checked the "radio types supported" info on my computers, one has only 802.11b and g while the other has 802.11n. Does this mean it's impossible to have 5 ghz wifi? (Don't really understand this stuff or how it works which is why I provided this info.) Would greatly appreciate help with this because, if it's impossible for me to get better speeds than 26 mbps, I might as well cancel Spectrum and keep my existing service. I at least get about 41 mbps with that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about internet speed with Spectrum

How old is the computer, is it possible that you can only get a certain speed on the computer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

I just got Spectrum internet (100 mbps) yesterday but am only getting about 26 mbps download speed and about 11.6 upload. I called tech support, but he couldn't seem to come up with an explanation. I'm supposed to have both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi, but only the 2.4 network shows on my computers. Is this why I'm getting such low speeds? Also, when I checked the "radio types supported" info on my computers, one has only 802.11b and g while the other has 802.11n. Does this mean it's impossible to have 5 ghz wifi? (Don't really understand this stuff or how it works which is why I provided this info.) Would greatly appreciate help with this because, if it's impossible for me to get better speeds than 26 mbps, I might as well cancel Spectrum and keep my existing service. I at least get about 41 mbps with that.

It's probably your router.  Just because you have the speed coming into your house doesn't mean the router is capable of broadcasting the same speed.  How old is the router?  Is it dual band?  I recently bought a Linksys Max stream AC 1900 dual band router and the wireless speed on my devices went from 10 MBPS to 100 MBPS.  They aren't cheap so check for sales. 

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine why your tech support didn't suggest the problem might be your router. But that's the first thing I would check when it comes to speed, besides an older computer which would compound the situation.

Esteemed Contributor

You can only get 100 speed when connected to the internet using an ethernet cable. Wireless runs slower. The hardware you use matters. 

Honored Contributor

I have Spectrum (fka Charter) and usually am at somewhere between 60 and 70mbps.  All my stuff is wireless, so I don't know what the capability is but that's been plenty fast enough for me.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

You can only get 100 speed when connected to the internet using an ethernet cable. Wireless runs slower. The hardware you use matters. 

I've done speed tests on all of my wireless devices and I'm getting between 90-100 bps. 

Valued Contributor

Some of you mentioned that having older computers might be part of the problem. Well, my laptop is pretty old (Windows 7), so I can see where it could be an issue, but the other one (desktop) should be able to handle it. As far as my router, I should get my own, but for now, I'm using one of Spectrum's combo modem/routers. The brand is Ubee. I'm going to call them back to see if a different one might do a better job. I would buy my own, but I am facing huge medical bills right now. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an update. I called Spectrum about my lack of speed and the router they supplied me with, and while I was talking to them, the price of my "triple play" came up. Seems like I was lied to about the total cost. I talked to a supervisor about it and after rechecking all the figures and promos, informed me that the cost would be quite a bit higher than I was told. I am quite disgusted with Spectrum, especially considering that I specifically asked the agent I spoke to when signing up for everything if the price he quoted would be good for a whole year. He told me it would. So, after finding my internet speed to be lacking and having been lied to about the total, I told the super to cancel both the phone and internet. She is going to credit my account for the installation charge and backdate when I started the phone and internet service so I will owe nothing for that. I am so disappointed, but I guess that's how most companies do their customers now.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Just an update. I called Spectrum about my lack of speed and the router they supplied me with, and while I was talking to them, the price of my "triple play" came up. Seems like I was lied to about the total cost. I talked to a supervisor about it and after rechecking all the figures and promos, informed me that the cost would be quite a bit higher than I was told. I am quite disgusted with Spectrum, especially considering that I specifically asked the agent I spoke to when signing up for everything if the price he quoted would be good for a whole year. He told me it would. So, after finding my internet speed to be lacking and having been lied to about the total, I told the super to cancel both the phone and internet. She is going to credit my account for the installation charge and backdate when I started the phone and internet service so I will owe nothing for that. I am so disappointed, but I guess that's how most companies do their customers now.

Get a new service with someone else.  I was able to get double play with Comcast which includes internet and TV.  I didn't want the phone service since too many people I know had problems. 

If you rent a modem or router from a company, it's going to be a slower older model.  Plus, you're paying $120 a month for junk.  Take the $120 and buy your own modem and router.  Over the new 2 years, you'll be money ahead.  And please, don't listen to people who say they want the company to be responsible for any problems or repairs.  These 2 devices rarely fail. And if they do, buy new with the money you saved not renting an inferior router from the service provider.