Respected Contributor

I had Java on my computers for years and so last week when I was asked if I wanted to update Java I said yes. 

A few days later I noticed that my computer was running very slow when on the Internet.  I have a desk top computer and am running Windows 7.  I am using IE 11.  Also lately my web pages are freezing up and also I have to wait a long time for a page to load.  I do not have a virus and deleted all my cookies and stuff. 

Yesterday I decided to go into Java and I disabled Java from my browser.  I am still have the same problems and am wondering if I really need Java and if I should remove it from my computer.   I like using IE and would like to keep on using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA

New Contributor

Same thing happened to me when I came online to the Q. When asked if I wanted to download update I did it and since I have good version of Norton was not worried. Well, come to find out it was not the official Java download. I had to run a different scan to find the Trojan Virus as it lies dormant during Norton scan.

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about Java

[ Edited ]

@luvsbulldogs, As @TheEastCoastGirl said it's highly likely you downloaded and installed malware.

Extremely important:  Never use pop-ups of this nature to update software.

Unscrupulous people have designed pop-ups which look identical to the real thing and they can cause significant damage.

Please, always go to the official site if you think you need an update, and download from there.

Regarding Java in general:  it has a record of serious security flaws and isn't widely used today as it was years ago.   I disabled it long ago on my computers.  Unless you use websites which specifically require Java, I'd suggest inactivating it.

Note: Java and JavaScript are 2 different things and are unrelated.  You do need JavaScript enabled for most of your internet activity.

hth!Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@TheEastCoastGirl wrote:

Same thing happened to me when I came online to the Q. When asked if I wanted to download update I did it and since I have good version of Norton was not worried. Well, come to find out it was not the official Java download. I had to run a different scan to find the Trojan Virus as it lies dormant during Norton scan.

Hi EastCoastGirl.........thank you for the heads up about Norton.  I did a different scan and it came out fine.

I checked and my java was the real one from Oracle.  Again thanks.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@luvsbulldogs, As @TheEastCoastGirl said it's highly likely you downloaded and installed malware.

Extremely important:  Never use pop-ups of this nature to update software.

Unscrupulous people have designed pop-ups which look identical to the real thing and they can cause significant damage.

Please, always go to the official site if you think you need an update, and download from there.

Regarding Java in general:  it has a record of serious security flaws and isn't widely used today as it was years ago.   I disabled it long ago on my computers.  Unless you use websites which specifically require Java, I'd suggest inactivating it.

Note: Java and JavaScript are 2 different things and are unrelated.  You do need JavaScript enabled for most of your internet activity.

hth!Smiley

Hi dooBdoo.......after reading EastCoastGirl's post and yours I did run a different scan because I use Norton.

As I mentioned to ECG it came back fine.  I then checked and it was the real deal Java from Oracle.  I just had a feeling that it was the Java that was causing all of this.  I then totally removed the Java Update and it removed everything from Java.   Everything seems to be working good.  Thanks for your help. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That's great, @luvsbulldogs!  You're welcome!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova