Respected Contributor

I've known people who have police scanners but I never paid any attention to them but I found an app for iPad  and they do give you an interesting take on things where you live or I guess you can listen to almost anywhere.  I don't see any highly recommended free ones for kindle fire.  

The one I listen to is 

5-0 police scanner radio 

by smartest apps

Honored Contributor

Broadcastify

Lets you police scan right on your computer!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The Tune-In radio app for Kindle Fire let's you monitor many local police/fire scanner frequencies.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Listening to scanners is about as exciting as watching paint dry.  On the rare occasion that something is actually happening, you can't understand 3/4 of what they say.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Do you live in or near a metropolitan area???

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac. Yes, I live near Albuquerque.

Honored Contributor

Re: Police scanners / app

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

Maybe Albuquerque is different.  In the NE, most if not all scanners are digital, trunked and/or encrypted.  Voices are clear & easy to understand.  Codes are rarely used because the EMS as well as the police do not think it is now necessary.

Now w/the mobile as well as comp apps & scanner website, you get to find out what is happening in town before it hits the news.

In my county, I know whos house has been robbed, car broken into, etc. as these type of crimes rarely reach the newspaper.

Also, during bad weather, the scanner alerts you days and/or hours before it hits.  Also advises where to go for shelter if need be.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman. Do you use a Kindle Fire?  I've been trying to use a little 7" one I got last December in lieu of my iPad which has gone bonkers since the update.  I get sort of frustrated with the Kindle too, although I thought of ordering the new 10" one they released last week.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gardenman. Do you use a Kindle Fire?  I've been trying to use a little 7" one I got last December in lieu of my iPad which has gone bonkers since the update.  I get sort of frustrated with the Kindle too, although I thought of ordering the new 10" one they released last week.

I use two Kindle Fires. I've got an old first generation Fire and just got a Fire HD 7 in August. I find them pretty easy to use. Let me know what problems you're having and I'll see if I can help you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!