Super Contributor

I use this for CCleaner, but now there's a popup that says I have to accept cookies to update to the latest version.

I know what cookies are and do, but this has never popped up before, so I'm a little leary of it.

I know there are many here who are knowledgeable in this area, so I would appreaciate your input.

TIA

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Honored Contributor

I've been updating my CC through filehippo for a while now and also have recently noticed that thing.  I just don't click on 'ok' and it goes on ahead and updates.  Then I run it and even if it STILL put cookies on my computer they are gone.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt Thanks! I wondered if it would still update without clicking agree. I did try that and just clicked on download, but it seemed to be at a standstill, so I just cancelled.

Honored Contributor

Hmmm.  That's weird.  I've updated CC on 3 of my computers since they started with that silly cookie thing and they all went quickly.  

All I did was to ignore that thing about the cookies.   Did you see a thing on the bottom of your screen that has you to click on either 'run' or 'save'?   Just click on 'run' and it should update.

If it doesn't, that is maddening.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt I didn't see anything at the bottom, but there was a pop-up box that said (I think) something like "you have chosen to open ____ file" with a choice of save or cancel.

Honored Contributor

That's probably it.  Smiley Happy   Different types of computers or different operating systems might have different variations.   I forgot that part.  Sorry about that.

I hope you are able to get it to update.  If nothing else you could probably re-install the program but that's a bit of a pain for something that should be really easy and take a minute or two.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt  Thanks anyway. I really appreciate you trying to help me

Honored Contributor

None of that worked, eh?  Smiley Sad  

I'm on my way outta here but I had one more thought - I wonder if the CC website would still have updates.  It's worth a try.  Used to be when you clicked on 'update' for the software it gave you a choice between the CC website or filehippo.  Back then I always chose the CC website and only when there was no longer a choice did I start getting the updates from filehippo.

Super Contributor

I went back after our conversation to try again. This time it didn't offer to update and I just ran the scan using the old version. I guess next time I try, it will offer it again, so I'll see what happens.

Again, thanks so much for your time and effort to help me. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@luv2drive wrote:

I went back after our conversation to try again. This time it didn't offer to update and I just ran the scan using the old version. I guess next time I try, it will offer it again, so I'll see what happens.

Again, thanks so much for your time and effort to help me. Heart

If I am visiting a website that asks me to accept cookies for that website, I will go ahead and do that. Otherwise, what I have found can happen is that by not accepting them, I may not be able to access that website.

You can always clear your browsing history on your computer when you are done using it for the day, and that will also clear out any cookies that are also stored on there, too. Cat Happy