Trusted Contributor

Pentium processors..........are they slow?

Can anyone please tell me?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pentium processors..........are they slow?

@Sue98 wrote:

It depends. They're slower than many/most other processors, but if the device you're using it in doesn't make extreme demands, they can appear to be lightning fast. For example a Pentium processor in a Chromebook will typically be as fast as you need. 

Now if you're looking for a high end gaming computer, a computer to do video editing, or a CAD work station, they're too slow.  And to be honest, slow is all relative. A slow modern Pentium processor is still likely faster than a state-of-the-art CPU from five or ten years ago.

For the vast majority of users doing the "normal" stuff on a computer (word processing, web surfing, and the like) a Pentium CPU is likely perfectly adequate. You won't impress a computer geek with one, but if that's all you use a computer for, you'll likely be fine with a Pentium processor.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I would not buy a Pentium processor running in a computer. It is too slow today. 

Please tell us what you are buying so someone can help.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains link to another retail site.

Honored Contributor

Too old.  For ten years ago it would have be ok, I suppose.  I would not purchase such an old processor with today's operating systems.

I assume this is something they are selling here.  They tend to sell old components because a lot of people don't do their research, so they get to make a lot of money selling old stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Too old.  For ten years ago it would have be ok, I suppose.  I would not purchase such an old processor with today's operating systems.

I assume this is something they are selling here.  They tend to sell old components because a lot of people don't do their research, so they get to make a lot of money selling old stuff.

The original post was removed by the MODS. This is a reworked processor in a AIO from Lenovo sold at BJ's. They do make a lot of money selling this stuff. Many customers do not understand  about buying computers. Many times research would not help.

Honored Contributor

All in one computers typically use lower power processors to keep the heat down. All in one computers have a lot of stuff crammed into a small space and keeping the components cool is a challenge. The more powerful CPU's are high wattage with Intel's most powerful CPU's now using over 200 watts. That's a lot of heat. Pentium processors tend to only use 53-65 watts. If you're trying to keep heat down, a lower power CPU is a big help. The reality is that for most users, the CPU isn't a big issue. More often than not the CPU will be just idling along and not really stressed no matter which CPU you use. If you're a "typical" computer user you'll likely be fine with a Pentium processor.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98

As @gardenman has said, a Pentium being fast or slow, is relative to what you plan to do with your computer. I personally for my use, prefer the Intel " i " series processors. My current computer has a 2nd generation " i7" with old Windows 7.

When I decide to upgrade, I will see what those in the know, have tested and see what they have to say. If you are one that likes to leave a lot of programs(graphic intensive ones), at the same time, you might want to be sure to get more RAM along with the updated processor.

Remember that video and many pictures are big and some with lots of graphics, so if you are saving those things, along with some games, processor and RAM are more important. Just text and e-mails make little difference, but graphics? Whole different story.

Whatever I upgrade to down the road I will have built with only my specs, regardless of the brand name. If I get ambitious, I might even build my own again. You might consider looking online and doing the same, direct from the manufacturer. Just another option for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

It depends. They're slower than many/most other processors, but if the device you're using it in doesn't make extreme demands, they can appear to be lightning fast. For example a Pentium processor in a Chromebook will typically be as fast as you need. 

Now if you're looking for a high end gaming computer, a computer to do video editing, or a CAD work station, they're too slow.  And to be honest, slow is all relative. A slow modern Pentium processor is still likely faster than a state-of-the-art CPU from five or ten years ago.

For the vast majority of users doing the "normal" stuff on a computer (word processing, web surfing, and the like) a Pentium CPU is likely perfectly adequate. You won't impress a computer geek with one, but if that's all you use a computer for, you'll likely be fine with a Pentium processor.

I laughed when I read your post @gardenman, regarding a Pentium processor in a Chromebook! LOL!!

I think that you'd be flying around the internet, if that were the case when using a Chromebook. It would probably be literally bouncing and flying off of the surface of whatever you had it on! Smiley LOL Smiley Wink

Now, that I would like to see, because if I recall properly, I think that they're putting Celeron processors in Chromebooks. Smiley Happy

I think that's what my husband and I both have in each of our Chromebooks, and mine is newer than his. Mine is last year's model, and his is two years old now.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

I laughed when I read your post @gardenman, regarding a Pentium processor in a Chromebook! LOL!!

I think that you'd be flying around the internet, if that were the case when using a Chromebook. It would probably be literally bouncing and flying off of the surface of whatever you had it on! Smiley LOL Smiley Wink

Now, that I would like to see, because if I recall properly, I think that they're putting Celeron processors in Chromebooks. Smiley Happy

I think that's what my husband and I both have in each of our Chromebooks, and mine is newer than his. Mine is last year's model, and his is two years old now.

Intel's joined up with Google and they're moving more of the Intel line of processors into the Chromebook family. Acer's C720 actually uses an i3 CPU. The HP 13 G1 uses a Pentium 4405Y CPU. Intel's looked around and said, "Hey, you know what? Those Chromebooks are a neat idea. We should get them to use our CPU's in them." The drawback of course comes that as you put more powerful processors in a Chromebook, you start to lose battery life, and truth be told, most Chromebooks are pretty darn fast with slower processors. Intel wants to get more involved in the Chromebook market, so you're seeing more and more of their higher end CPU's working their way in.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!