Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs : Appreciate the info but will purchase the tracfone because for my area- Verizon is better service provider. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee, QVC has that same LG Premire Pro for $99.96,

item #E232977 - 30.00 cheaper!

Not sure why they both raised the price, it was 59.99 for a long time, hmmm. Its a great phone tho, I bought it instead of buying more mins/texts/data as it was so much cheaper and I find it is a really nice phone, nice camera in it too!!

No you dont need an acct to get started but might change your mind later, you can make one at any time.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman : Thank you. Just made the purchase and paid extra for shipping to be delivered by Thursday. Still good price for 4 ez pay of $30.78. DH going fishing Friday and I can set the phone up and try to learn something new. 

Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Re: New to tracfone

[ Edited ]

@SeaGal : Thanks for the information and great to know that you are enjoying your purchase. Gardenman mention this earlier.  Love all the help and suggestions from everyone. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Interesting topic to me....DH and I have cell phones thru consumer cellular...the only service is that it rings, ha, ha!  The bill runs about $35.00/month for both phones...we almost  never use the phone.

If I want to connect to the internet and also be able to text, how do I figure out how may mb of data is needed?

I surf the web and communicate with friends on my MacBook air so I would guess the cell service would be for travel only.

It is frustrating when we are out and about or in an unknown area that we don't know where we are going or we are looking for something and we cannot find what we need...being able to jump on line to look something up would be nice....advice appreciated. 

My LG Premier Pro through Tracfone does all I need it to do. Google Maps gets me anyplace I have to go, often taking very interesting routes. I've lived in South Jersey all my life and Google Maps has me on roads I never knew existed. I use nearly no data on my phone as I set up Google Maps before I leave my WiFi and then it guides me where I need to go without using any data at all.

Google Maps is insanely easy to use. There's a search bar where you put where you want to go (it can be very general like Walmart, Wegmans, etc. or a specific location like a street address) and it knows where you are and it'll map out your route for you and give you turn by turn directions as you go. The $56.96 I paid for my phone will take me through the whole year as I'm not on the phone a lot and don't text a lot or use data when away from home. I can use data as I've got well over 2 GB's of data on the phone, but I save that and only turn it on when needed.

If you don't like Google Maps there are other GPS apps you can download and install. I had Waze on my phone for a bit, but on one trip it said the nearest parking to a doctor's office was over a mile and a half away from the doctor's office in an outlet center's parking lot which I knew to be wrong, so Waze went bye-bye. Google maps has never gotten me lost. (At least so far.) It does seem to really want me to take the NJ Turnpike on some trips, even when that's not the best route for me. Trips to Glassboro for example. It's easy to hop on 295 to 322 and that takes you right to Glassboro. Google Maps continues to insist, even as I'm on 322, that I should turn around and take the Turnpike. It's kind of funny to watch the estimated arrival time. It increases to almost an hour when I first get on 322, then drops to about twenty minutes when Google Maps finally gives up and realizes I'm not backtracking all the way to the Turnpike. (One would almost suspect the Turnpike Authority kicks back a bit of the tolls to Google in some manner.)

I love my little LG Premiere Pro phone for all it does. It takes good photos and video. (Good enough for me anyway.) I can use it as a GPS. It access the Internet quickly and easily. It gets and sends phone calls or texts with no trouble. I can play games on it. Check out social media. It's nearly impossible to beat for the price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman ...a non tech person here...do I understand that you look for your location BEFORE you leave your home (or wherever) and you save that info on your phone, then when needed you can refer to what you looked up earlier?   and you are not using any data, correct?

If so that works well if you have an intended destination, which we generally know where we want/need to go.  I guess I would only use the data  if I was searching as we are on the road looking for something specific or a specific address.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@gardenman ...a non tech person here...do I understand that you look for your location BEFORE you leave your home (or wherever) and you save that info on your phone, then when needed you can refer to what you looked up earlier?   and you are not using any data, correct?

If so that works well if you have an intended destination, which we generally know where we want/need to go.  I guess I would only use the data  if I was searching as we are on the road looking for something specific or a specific address.

Yes. That's exactly how it works, and it even remembers places you went to previously. It's really easy. You just plug in where you want to go into the search box before you leave. When you're ready to leave your house there's a button on the Google Maps screen that says "Start" and you push that and it'll guide you the whole way without using any data. They're really clever devices. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!