I bought the tracfone that was on QVC E232977 with 1500 mins & textThe instructions say I have to purchase a tractfone plan to activate it.  Is that true?  I haven't activated it yet.  I tried texting with QVC customer service but they were no help.  I'm thinking of returning it.  I thought the sales pitch said I wouldn't have to pay anything additional to use it until I ran out of minutes. 

Respected Contributor

I've used Tracfones for years.  Never heard of such a thing.  All I did was register it on line and the minutes/texts were downloaded immediately.  Are you sure you read it correctly?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Susan_in_VA.  No you need not purchase anything.  You should have received instructions for activating your phone.  That's why I always buy mine from HSN....much better instructions.  Go to the TracFone. com website and you should be able to activate with no problem.  Charge your phone first.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

All Tracfones come with a tri-fold pamphlet (usually red) and a card with the serial number, sim card number and instructions to get started.  Also some free downloads.  Check out your packaging for it.

@Susan_in_VA 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Susan_in_VA   you bought a bundled package containing a phone, a year of airtime, and 1500 talk minutes, 1500 texts, 1.5 GBdata.

You already bought everything you need.

TracFone is set up to best accommodate 'do it yourself' customers. We will help you here.

You will also find a lot of help in reading threads already written in this forum.

There are advantages in eventually setting up an account (charge card) on the TracFone website. In the future, you don't want to be buying those little cards to 'refill' your phone. Better deals buying direct from their website.

Honored Contributor

Re: New to tracfone

[ Edited ]

You have everything you need in the box to get the phone up and running.  Lay all the paperwork out and read it a couple times.  If worse comes to worse, call the tracfone number and they'll walk you through it.  It's super easy now compared to what it used to be.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Susan_in_VA.  No you need not purchase anything.  You should have received instructions for activating your phone.  That's why I always buy mine from HSN....much better instructions.  Go to the TracFone. com website and you should be able to activate with no problem.  Charge your phone first.

Me too. I don't use mine enough to use up the 1500 minutes so I just buy a new phone every year from HSN (cheaper than buying a year's worth of minutes from Tracfone) and roll my leftover minutes over.

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy ,  you can buy a year's worth of airtime on the TracFone website for $49.99

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@froggy ,  you can buy a year's worth of airtime on the TracFone website for $49.99

??? I don't see anything for less than $99.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 : I need another phone but money issues. If you don’t mind- just looked on HSN-what phone do you prefer and how to find the carrier because I now have Verizon. Looking at the LG. Not trying to take over OP post or anything. Thanks. Southern Bee